School-Aged Children
Options

What activities have your kids tried

What activities have your kids tried and how old where they? Feel free to add any info like if you made them or if they requested it or if you plan on waiting until they are older for something.

My DS is 6 and DD is 4. DS is only recently becoming interested in doing things and DD would do everything. I am feeling like at 6 going into first grade I want to expose DS to more.

DS has done art at 5 and 6
Roller skating at 6

DD did dance at 3 and will do it again in the fall
Roller skating at 4
Art for a few weeks at 4
Soccer at 3

ETA DS started swim lessons at 2.5 and DD at 3.5

DS wants to try basketball but the kids are start Chibese school in Sept and it is on the same day so I am trying to find another option.
Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08

Re: What activities have your kids tried

• Options
    The only structurd sport my daughter has tried is cheerleading at 4. We skipped it at 5 due to starting K and a new baby. We'll be doing 6 (now). 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

I'm not big on pushing my kids into a ton of activities, especially not when they were younger.

They did swimming in preschool and also took bigger kid lessons later.  They have both done a swimming/diving camp in the summer, which they love.

DD did kindergarten soccer, but didn't love it.

She did an after school science class and really liked it.

DS does karate and LOVESLOVESLOVES it!  Martial arts is a great fit for him.

DD fences.  She likes it, but we were not thrilled with the teacher, and we're in the market for a new program.  Fortunately, they have other clubs in our area.

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Neverblushed, I agree about not pushing kids especially at a young age. DD begged to do ballet but was not ready to seperate so we only did two months and it was through our county and not a dance school. The roller skating is a pay as you go and only 7 dollars each session! DS has never wanted to do much but I was so happy he wanted to do skating because he needs to be more active and I think it is helping his confidence. They have never been involved in more than one thing at a time before but with Chinese school starting I will have DS do two and DD do three because one is during the day when DS is at school. I might sign him up for a six week basketball at the YMCA and take a break from roller skating and have him choose which to continue with.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Options
    Both of my kids are enrolled in basketball at Boys And Girls Clubs Of Central Texas. they really enjoy their time there.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Our school offers a huge lot of after-school enrichment programs that we have loved! They are all 1x per week, 1 hour long, immediately after school, AT the school and are offered for 6-8 weeks in Fall and Spring. Not a huge time commitment, nothing serious, just after school fun!

In Kindergarten, my DD did Island dance and Mad Science - Outer Space adventures and really loved both. She also still took a tumbling class down the street from our house where she's been going since she was 16months. That was also only 1 hour, 1x per week.

In 1st grade she did soccer, Mad Science - Super Sleuth, and Karate. And she still did the tumbling class. The only thing she didn't LOVE was Karate.

Going into 2nd grade she wants to move to an Aerial/Trampoline class. She does not want to do Karate again (too much talking, too slow, not enough physical activity for her). She does want to do Circus Arts, Guitar, Mad Science, Soccer, and Mad Science. I'll have to see which session (fall or spring) they are offered and which afternoons to be sure they don't overlap. 

We have NEVER done team/organized sports. She's not ready. I'm not ready. :)

eclaire 9.10.06  diggy 6.2.11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"