Postpartum Depression

What are meds like? I am scared to go on them..but I dont know if I have a choice

Tell me what you feel like with meds?  Are you numb to everything?  Happy?  Able to deal better?  I have very bad anxiety and depression.  I feel like I am going to throw up constantly, wishing I didnt have children, hating myself for bringing these innocent kids into my life.  I cry all day everyday..I wish I could just stop it, but I cant.  DH tells me to suck it up.  He is no support at all.  I spoke with a doctor who recommended meds, but I am scared.  Will I become dependent on them?  Will they work?  I have to do something though, b/c I cant do this anymore.  Thank you.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What are meds like? I am scared to go on them..but I dont know if I have a choice

• I'm sorry you're going through this. You're thoughts do not mean you are a bad mother. Along with meds, I would really urge you to see a counselor, at least a few times. As far as meds, with my first pregnancy I had a combo anxiety/depression and was put on Zoloft and just restarted yesterday for this go-round. On most of the meds you start at a lower dose and titration upwards for better tolerability. Both times, I felt nauseated and dizzy. This usually goes away after a few days. Zoloft doesn't last as long in your system as others, so if you miss doses, those symptoms return. I thought I was having morning sickness when my first was 7 mo old, and it was just because I had missed 4-5 doses of Zoloft. I don't feel I had a huge appetite increase to cause weight gain last time, and it's too early to tell this time around. Sometimes it can be tricky to find which med works for which person. Once starting the med, i began to notice more good days after about 2 weeks, still plenty of bad though. it can take 4-6 weeks for most of the meds to really get therapeutic. I did try to avoid meds this time and only do therapy, but I felt I needed the extra help. Best of luck to you. 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Wanted to add-most of the meds they prescribe you won't become dependent on. I'm not sure what med they're offering you.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • cbmp06cbmp06 member

I'm so sorry you are feeling this way.  You are not a bad mother, in fact, you are a good mother for seeking help.  I take Effexor and Abilify and have taken other meds throughout the years such as Prozac and Wellbutrin.  I've never felt numb or strung out or bouncing around happy.  I even take Xanax when things are really bad and even it doesn't make me feel numb or loopy.  It just calms me down from the panic and makes me able to see things in perspective, instead of panicking.  Now, sometimes meds have not worked for me, and that's when the doctor has switched to something else.  But my doctor knows what dosage I should be taking and so like I said I've never felt loopy or numb.  Like pp said, you will still have a fair share of ups and downs, but the meds make the down days easier to handle.  Taking my meds make me more able to see things in perspective, to handle things better, and keep my anxiety in check so that I can function better.  I hope this helped, and I hope you get the help you need.  Good luck, mama. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker photo c15e5de6-d798-4a98-9644-9987af04720b_zpsa920caa6.jpg
  • nlakranlakra member
    Friend, I identify with your post so much. I started taking meds 4 months into debilitating mood swings and depression after having number 2. I find it absolutely impossible to come off the meds now, but they have been so lifegiving to me. In the midst of very hard situations, I have learned that the right medication will give you a filter that the depression is not providing. This filter gives does not make you numb or you are taking to high a dosage. After several weeks you may start to have feels of contentment and an overall happier well being. I wish you the best.
  • I am so sorry you are going through this. I know how you are feeling. I experienced something similar when my son was born. You are a great mom for recognizing you need help. 

I am on Zoloft for PPD/PPA. I will admit the first night I took it I was alone and had some terrible side effects including nausea, dizziness, weakness - felt very much like a panic attack. It was very scary and I immediately wanted to stop taking them but I stuck it out. The side effects lasted three days and within 2 weeks I could feel an improvement in my PPD/PPA. I felt "back to normal" about 6-8 weeks after starting meds. I would strongly recommend not taking it while home alone - just incase you have some unpleasant side effects and need some emotional support. I was not expecting that and it really put me into a tailspin for a few days.

I can assure you I do not feel numb or out of it on Zoloft. I can honestly say after suffering from anxiety most of my life, I have never felt better. I am happy and able to deal much better then before. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I didn't want to take meds either. I kept thinking if I just ate differently, stayed active, etc etc etc. I would feel better. Nothing worked. I had to try a few different drugs before I found one that helped my anxiety and depression. Prozac has worked WONDERS for me. I take 10mg a day. I have ZERO side effects. I just feel normal. I feel happy and sad at all the rights times. haha. It's not habit forming or sedating in any way.

A good doctor will discuss each medication in depth with you. I would learn everything you can about the medication and make sure it's something you are comfortable with.

I will stress this again. I was always very anti-meds, but i'm sold on this one. It saved me.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I feel like me only I'm not anxious, sad or depressed. I can eat and sleep normally and enjoy my life.

Evelyn (3.24.10), Graham (5.30.13) & Miles (8.28.16)
  • I had similar concerns before taking medication, but have been on Zoloft for 2 months (started 4 mo after having my first) and wish I had started sooner.  I had really mild side effects that only lasted a few days.  I stopped crying so much and having panic attacks after just a week, and it continues to get better.  I intend to also seek therapy, just haven't gotten around to it yet.  I know medication isn't for everyone, but if you are considering it I'd say give it a try... I'm so glad I did.  
  • I am so sorry!!

I took depression pills 4 days PP because of awful thoughts I couldn't control.
    I felt MORE numb, not having the pills from crying and hating every minute of being a mother. Within 3 days I felt peace, and calm. I didn't cry the 6 months I was on the medication, but it was worth it to me. Good luck, I hope you can find peace!

BabyFruit Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• Right now, I'm pregnant, so they aren't working exactly the same. I'm taking 20mg Cipralex.

But, I was on the same dose from Sept 2012 - Feb 2013 as well (before getting pregnant) and OMG it was amazing. I felt like I always THOUGHT I should feel. I enjoyed being a mother. I enjoyed taking my kids places. I would go on errand runs and VOLUNTARILY take an extra kid with me, just because. Before the meds? No way.

I am still on them, so I can't say about being dependent on them. But honestly, I can't wait until October, when I'll deliver, so I can get back to being just on the meds and feeling happy.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    imageimage
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"