Babies: 6 - 9 Months
Options

It Worked For Me! Parent tips

In Parent magazine they have an article entitled "It Worked for Me" where real moms and dads share simple parenting tips. After reading it I thought it might be fun for us all to share our tips we have learned that have made our lives easier.

For instance, when my DD was 2 months old she used to get into screaming fits whenever I had to change her clothes. Then one day I tried changing her while singing the hokey pokey. As I undressed her right arm I sang the verse "put your right arm in put your right arm out..." and then I did the same for her feet and head.  She thought it was the funniest thing ever, especially when we would shake it all about, and her tears quickly dried up. Now instead of it being a nightmare to change her it's become a nice bonding time for us.    /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-priority:99; mso-style-qformat:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin-top:0in; mso-para-margin-right:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:10.0pt; mso-para-margin-left:0in; line-height:115%; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:11.0pt; font-family:"Calibri","sans-serif"; mso-ascii-font-family:Calibri; mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-theme-font:minor-fareast; mso-hansi-font-family:Calibri; mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Re: It Worked For Me! Parent tips

• Options
    Sorry for the double post and jibber jabber below what i wrote. I originally tried deleting my post because of the gibberish. I got a message saying time expired to delete and then the post doubled. Anyway, I'm sorry hope that doesn't stop you from sharing your tips.

• Options
    CLLDLLCLLDLL member

Cute idea. 

DS2 is breastfed.  We really wanted him to start using a sippy cup ASAP because we want to give WCM at a year in a cup, not a bottle.  We started by trying the traditional sippy cups at 6 months.  After two months of trying, he still wasn't getting the fact that he needs to tip it to drink.  Then one day I gave him some water with one of those bendy straws (with me supervising of course).  He got it right away.  Now we just always use a straw sippy cup.

I make breastmilk "ice cubes" and put them in one of those mesh feeders to help soothe his swollen gums when teething.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image imageimageimage

• Loading the player...
  • Options

Thats a good idea to use a straw sippy cup to make it easy for them. Also, I really like your ice cube breastmilk tip. I would of never thought of that. Now I'm going to have to go out and buy one of those mesh feeders.

• Options

I do the breastmilk ice cubes too. And frozen watermelon! 

I put nipple cream on LOs chin to prevent dool rash (safe for in their mouths)

thats all I can think of 

• Options
    Love the breastmilk ice cube idea! I give DD frozen bananas in her mesh feeder, and she goes crazy for them. We also were having a hard time with keeping her happy and still for diaper and clothing changes and happy during bath time. Then one day, I handed her a little rubber duck, and she held onto that and smiled for the entire bath. Now, we have a duck for the tub, one on the changing table and one she holds onto in her carseat. Talk about a cheap, easy toy!

• Options
    I have DD hold the diaper and the cream for me while I'm changing her diaper.  She loves to play with them and since her hands are full she's occupied and not trying to flip over and then I know exactly where everything is when I need it.  And as an added bonus, when were out and I'm using a public changing table, I know she isn't touching anything she shouldn't....

• Options
    The breast milk ice cubes is one that I use for mixing into her cereal when we are out, or even when we are at home and I just need a small amount. Have not tried it in the mesh feeder, so far she does not seem to fond of it.

• Options
    I discovered another trick today! After feeding LO in his high chair his hands are usually covered in cereal from grabbing the spoon or eating his mums or puffs, so I put a suction bottom bowl in the centre of his tray with a bit of water in it and he plays with his hands in the water and I wipe them dry with a piece of paper towel.  He washes his own hands and thinks its fun! Much easier than fighting him with a damp cloth.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"