November 2011 Moms

DS is a big brother!

I had a beautiful baby girl on Monday at 37 weeks 5 days. DS is having a little bit of a hard time adjusting and has been acting out a bit. He has been screaming before naps and bedtime [he used to just go straight to sleep] and now screams Mommy for about 15 to 20 minutes. Poor guy. I've been having some latch issues so I've had to focus a lot on DD. Any advice for mom's who have had 2u2? I feel so guilty!
     Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013

Re: DS is a big brother!

• jb2rnjb2rn member
    No advice, just a Congratulations!
    b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Congrats! Mine weren't 2u2, but I understand how hard it is. I felt so guilty with how much time DS took away from my DD (we had many feeding issues to overcome). I would highly suggest seeing an LC if the latch issues go on any longer. Sometimes, the longer you go while having a problem, the bigger the problem gets (early intervention is key). I had a fantastic LC and attribute 80% of my success to her! https://kellymom.com/ is a great resource,too.

If you can read a book to your DS while you nurse your DD, that might help him feel more included. I've heard some moms have a bag close by filled with things for their older children to do or have (one mom said her older child always asked for a snack as soon as she sat down to nurse the baby, so she packed a snack as well).

Best wishes to a smooth transition at home!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Congratulations!  

Having 2u2 is hard at first, but as they get older, it gets easier (not easy, but easier).  DS2 has tongue tie, so we had latch issues with that.  DS1 would get jealous and want to sit in my lap while I was bfing, so I would sit on the couch and put DS1 on the other side of the baby and talk to DS1 while I was feeding.  Also, try giving your DS some one on one time while the baby is asleep.  I understand about the guilt.  It probably took me over a month to not feel so guilty anytime I needed to spend any alone time with DS2.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • First, congratulations!!

My son was 23 months when my November 2011 baby girl was born. So a bit older than what you're dealing with but still a major adjustment. My son actually stomped on her when she was only days old!! I was horrified. And felt so guilty. But they have both survived and are best buddies now. My advice is to do your best to give the older sibling one on one time, even if only for a few minutes at a time. My husband stayed home for a couple of weeks post partum and devoted himself to my son so I could focus on the baby. That seemed to help. But really time is the only thing that worked best. Once they realize that baby isn't going anywhere, they just deal!! I'm expecting a September baby, so 3 under 4. Should be interesting!! 

• Congrats! I had 2u2 when DD was born and it can be tough in the beginning.  Make sure you give your son as much extra attention as you can muster when your DD is sleeping.  I made nursing time with DD special for DS by reading to him while I nursed DD.  Also, if your DH can spend extra time doing special things with your son it might help.  DS became a daddy's boy for a little while after his sister was born. 

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Congrats!!
                                    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • jasnemjasnem member
    No advice, but congratulations!

Eagerly awaiting the arrival of our Rainbow Baby after 2 early m/c.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Congrats! 

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Congrats!

Baby Boy #2 is on the way!

BabyFetus Ticker
  • Congrats and good luck :
  • Congrats! 

Now I demand a siblings pic. lol
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• Thanks ladies! Reading to DS during feedings has really helped! And he snapped out of his screaming fits before naps and bedtime. He is still acting out a little but that's to be expected I assume! Thanks for the advice! Now a PIP of DD :] I still haven't got a good sibling picture of the two of them because DS won't hold still!

Lilypie - (2Lt7)      Lilypie - (WFOL)

Jonah Stephen born at 39w on 11/3/2011                Naomi Isabel born at 37w 5d on 5/27/2013
  • imagecaffrin:
    Thanks ladies! Reading to DS during feedings has really helped! And he snapped out of his screaming fits before naps and bedtime. He is still acting out a little but that's to be expected I assume! Thanks for the advice! Now a PIP of DD :] I still haven't got a good sibling picture of the two of them because DS won't hold still! image
    She's beautiful. 
    Munchkin born 11/22/11
    Pipsqueak born 6/9/14

• Congratulations!
  • Congratulations! That's wonderful!!

Sorry, no advice on the little man... 

This discussion has been closed.