Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Underweight...

DS is only 16 pounds at 10.5 months. The doctor has old me to feed him more dairy but it hasn't helped.

His typical day of food looks something like this:

breakfast: 45 minutes of nursing, 3 scrambled egg yolks with cheese, 1 sausage patty, 1 yogurt (this morning he ate all of that and then 3 dollar size pancakes!)

am snack: fruit, cheese stick

lunch: 30ish minutes of nursing, usually dinner leftovers, spaghetti, roasted chicken, manicotti, etc with veggie in cheese sauce (broccoli is the fave)

pm snack: arrowroot cookies

dinner: 45 min nursing, meat, veggie, starch

bedtime: 1.5 hours of nursing

plus he nurses several other times throughout the day. he even nurses in his sleep throughout his whole nap. and he also nibbles on those gerber cheetos things throughout the day.

any ideas on what's causing his extreme appetite and lack of weight gain?

Wedding Countdown TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: Underweight...

• khill86khill86 member
    Is he staying on the same growth curve? As long as he's not losing weight or dropping percentiles, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, how active is your LO? DS has never been a chunky baby but he leaned out even more when he started walking. He was walking FT by 11 months and you could REALLY see him getting lean.

Your LO could just be petite. DS was 18lbs 10oz at 10.5 months. He's petite, but so is DH. He is the EXACT same size as DH was at the same age.

My only suggestion is to offer good fats and healthy foods in place of empty snacks or processed foods, like arrowroot cookies or gerber snacks. Think avocado, full fat yogourt [we do 10 percent], fruits, veggies, etc.

Also, there are times that DS eats so much I am literally shocked. Literally. Then there are days he barely picks at his meals. As long as you're offering. A good, balanced variety of food, they'll take what they need.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Those seems like really long nursing sessions for his age.  Perhaps you need to do a weighted feed to see if he's getting enough breastmilk. 
  • Loading the player...
  • imagecedenton:
    Those seems like really long nursing sessions for his age.  Perhaps you need to do a weighted feed to see if he's getting enough breastmilk. 

That's what I was thinking. DS's nursing sessions are more like 5 to 10 minutes and have been for months.

• I agree that nursing for that number of minutes seems very long. My son is 10 months and its 5-10 minutes 5-6 times a day. He may be comfort nursing for that time but little milk. Can you hear gulping and swallowing?  Maybe do a 24 hour pump and see what you get. I agree with weighted feeds suggestion as well though that means buying or borrowing a scale. To me it seems like the easiest and most calories is from milk and if he is not getting enough.......
  • SkyBeeSkyBee member

If your son is on the same growth curve, I wouldn't worry. My DS had a similar appetite at that age and is still ravenous,  but very healthy. 

ETA: You really should talk to your pediatrician if you are concerned. Your Dr. is familiar with your child's health and would have much better advice than people on the internet that don't know your child's case.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Those are some long nursing sessions.  How is his growth curve?
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Emily 8.8.08
    Madeline 1.2.11
    William 8.5.12
  • imagekhill86:
    Is he staying on the same growth curve? As long as he's not losing weight or dropping percentiles, I wouldn't worry about it. Also, how active is your LO? DS has never been a chunky baby but he leaned out even more when he started walking. He was walking FT by 11 months and you could REALLY see him getting lean.

Your LO could just be petite. DS was 18lbs 10oz at 10.5 months. He's petite, but so is DH. He is the EXACT same size as DH was at the same age.

My only suggestion is to offer good fats and healthy foods in place of empty snacks or processed foods, like arrowroot cookies or gerber snacks. Think avocado, full fat yogourt [we do 10 percent], fruits, veggies, etc.

Also, there are times that DS eats so much I am literally shocked. Literally. Then there are days he barely picks at his meals. As long as you're offering. A good, balanced variety of food, they'll take what they need.

I completely agree with all this! My guy is tiny too, he's only 16lbs and is 10 months. Pedi isn't concerned because he's always been slender and follows the growth curve.

One thing tho... Your LO's nursing sessions are so long! Is he actively eating all that time or is he comfort nursing? Maybe ask your pedi about the length of his nursing sessions and see what his opinion is on it. Good luck!
  • Agree about nursing. Can you go to an LC and have a weighed nursing session? DD spends 5 to 10 minutes nursing every 3 hours then sleeps 12 hours at night. Maybe you aren't producing enough. DD didn't gain weight between 4 and 6 months and I started giving her 1 formula bottle before bed after nursing and she drinks it happily. She's 16.10lbs at 9 months. I'd either try a formula bottle and see if LO is hungry after nursing or have a weighed feeding. Also, if LO Is on your boob during naps they aren't drinking, they are pacifying.
  • My DD weighed about 16 lbs at that age. Did he drop percentiles? BM is more caloric than a lot of solids, and I would not give your LO high cal/ low nutrition foods.

Many babies drop in percentile when they become more mobile. Unless this is an on-going trend, it sounds normal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • imagekhill86:
    Is he staying on the same growth curve? As long as he's not losing weight or dropping percentiles, I wouldn't worry about it.

This exactly.  My LO is 10 1/2 months and is just under 15 poinds.  My pedi is not concerned because she has been staying on her growth curve.  Remember, for the percentiles we need big babies and small babies.

• imagecedenton:
    Those seems like really long nursing sessions for his age.  Perhaps you need to do a weighted feed to see if he's getting enough breastmilk. 

this....

thats a very long time for a 10.5 month old to nurse.  That is more of a newborn schedule.

~after 34 cycles we finally got our 2nd little bundle of joy~
    My IF blog

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• If you're really concerned you should speak to a doctor.  Request having your baby's heart checked. That sometimes may be the culprit, and an issue didn't get diagnosed at birth.  It happens all the time.
    Me: 36 (Endo) DH: 39 (Azoo)
    5 DIUI - BFN
    IVF#1 - BFP - AJ 7/12
    FET#1 - BFP Due 7/24/14
    imageimage
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    image imageimageimageimage

• My son started Pediasure at 10 months to help him gain weight
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards