Food Allergy

beccaxboox...more alimentum questions!

Hope you don't mind my asking you...

You mentioned it can take 2 weeks to know if alimentum is tolerated.  Does that mean baby may be gassy for 2 weeks before going back to normal?  Or does that just mean it takes 2 weeks to get the milk protein out of body.

I am still breastfeeding almost all feeds so am only planning to give 1-2 bottles of alimentum a day.  So far she seems rather uncomfortable after the bottle...and is more gassy (like deep rumbling burps). 

Would this mean it's not working well with her little body?  Or it's just something new and her body is adapting to it?  I need to give 18 more bottles of it over the nest 1.5 weeks to stock up enough breastmilk to leave while I am away for 36 hours.

I want to leave breastmilk since she is used to it...and didn't want to go away and leave her on something totally new incase her body doesn't react well.

Is it ok to keep giving it?

Re: beccaxboox...more alimentum questions!

• =Lee=B=Lee=B member
    imageSaltylove:

Thought I'd comment since I responded to your previous post.

What were her original symptoms that lead to the milk protein intolerance suspicion? If they seemed to have gotten better since you cut dairy, and appear to come back after having alimentum, she may not be able to tolerate it.

for us DD was gassy, fussy at the breast, and had green, mucousy poop with obvious blood in it. When she was given Alimentum her bloody stool got significantly worse, and my diet hadn't changed, so it was pretty clearly the formula that did it. We switched to using neocate and it was much better.

bottle feeding can cause more burps without it being the formula, but if she seems clearly grassier  after having a bottle of alimentum vs a bottle of breast milk you might want to try an amino acid formula.

Thanks. I stopped giving the formula as she has almost completely reversed her improvements with poops.  I really hope it doesn't take weeks to clear this out of her system like it did the milk in my diet!

I am back to 100% breastmilk and am trying to pump after each feed to build the supply I need for my time away.  I will experiment with the neocate in the future but don't want to introduce a new formula until she has recovered from the alimentum that's messing with her system!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"