June 2013 Moms
Options

I wonder why all of your OB's do internals?

2»

Re: I wonder why all of your OB's do internals?

• Options
    imageWhitWed:

That's condescending. I love how some women get off on judging the decisions of others and their doctors. You had a c-section? Shame!  You got an epidural? Weak!  You use formula? Gather your pitchforks!  Your doctor performed an internal? There must be something wrong with that doctor!  I understand it's just self validation for your own personal decisions, but I really can't stand it.  I've said it before and I'll say it again, you don't get a medal for pregnancy or L&D!  No two pregnancies are the same and, therefore, not every decision regarding patients should be the same.

I had an internal when I was bleeding at 25wks. I also had one last week when I reached my last month. I have to have a RCS and if I were to have any real labor symptoms we need to get LO out asap. So, no, internals are not "archaic" and your doctor is not a prodigal son spreading the good word on how to perform examinations. 

I think you are overreacting just a tad. The OP is talking about internals when there is NO MEDICAL NEED. Obviously, you had a medical reason to get one. OP's OBGYN makes a good point. For a healthy pregnancy, internals are useless. For a GBS+ woman, internals are actually risky. There's nothing condescending about questioning a medical practice, especially one that isn't evidence-based. The reason we all don't get enemas & pubic hair shaving before L&D is because other women questioned these practices, which it turned out were for the comfort of the Dr, not the patient's health. 
  • Options
    Wow! Super sensitive crowd today! I can tell we're all close to due dates....I'm not getting internals either. Clear evidence that healthy pregnancy does NOT need this. If there's a genuine medical reason (not just "curious"), then by all means, it makes sense to have an internal. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"