Homeschooling

Anyone in a hybrid homeschool?

There's a charter school that offers two days of classroom work and then the parent homeschools three days.  
This intrigues me.

I'd love to hear from someone in a similar model. 

image Best friends and sisters... 24 months and 16 months

Re: Anyone in a hybrid homeschool?

• No advice- just wanted to say I LOVE your siggy pic!  Adorable!  Will your girls be in the same grade?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• We have a couple of those too, and they sound really neat. Ours are structured more like college, where the kids go to classes by subject (rather than by age). Ours is through the district, so the kids can also participate in public school extra curricular activities like sports and school dances. 

The reason I've decided against it for now is that we would still be held to the state standards, and state chosen curriculum. But mainly because I want to have the freedom to travel throughout the year.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKLilley:
    No advice- just wanted to say I LOVE your siggy pic!  Adorable!  Will your girls be in the same grade?

Thanks... they could be in the same grade.  I am not sure how it will all work out.. if we homeschool it won't be as much of an issue.. I worry in traditional schools that they'll be in the same class and always have to share their story since it's clear that they don't look like sisters.

So many decisions :)

• xnbridexnbride member

Yes! We do this through a public school charter and it is wonderful. I highly recommend it because you get the best of both worlds. You get the flexibility of homeschool  with extra support and free curriculum (of my choice) and it enables my son to participate in all the organized activities offered by the school and through the district.  He loves it and so do I. I also get to hang out with all the other HS mamas on a regular basis and get involved in school events. It feels very much like a family. It is definitely what I would consider a communal learning environment.

We are still able to travel and to tailor our learning around DS's interest and they have a huge library with tons of resources that I can check out. For instance, we went on a big trip to Texas and I checked out tons of related books from the library and that is what we focused on during our trip and it all applies.  I also can check out microscopes, games, videos, cds, make copies, access online subscriptions etc. through the school--free of charge. HOnestly, I can't imagine homeschooling without going this route. We just love it.

My best advice is to try it out and if it is not a good fit, then leave. They are becoming very popular. Our school has a pretty long wait list now, so definitely pursue it sooner rather then later because in a couple years, it may not be so easy to get into (at least that has been true for similar programs here). Also, our school offers automatic placement for siblings so that is definitely a plus.

9 angels in heaven-3 in my arms and 1 in the NICU                                                                                                                                    
    Mono/di twin girls: Josephine born to heaven and Evangeline born Earthside at 25w

• xnbride-  I'll page you as well... but where are you in CA?  Wondering if you are in the school I am referencing in CA?!
  • I'm considering a school like this as well also in CA! By any chance does the school start with a D?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"