1st Trimester
Options

New here nutrition question

Hi girls

My DH and I found out on Sunday that we are expecting our first child still in shock, really. From what I can find online, it feels lik eating EVERYTHING is off limits for one reason or another.

Is there a comprehensive list of what I can and cannot have? Also, what's the deal with ice cream? I know soft serve is out, but am I allowed to go to Friendly's if I want or am I stuck with store bought? Although, some Friendlys flavore are sold in store

Any suggestions for sandwiches and things like that since deli meats are out too?

Thanks! So excited for our little one, but I want to make sure I do this right.
Dave and Kathleen - 09.12.09:
Partially Complex (my blog)

Re: New here nutrition question

• Options

imagepennstated912:
    Hi girls My DH and I found out on Sunday that we are expecting our first child still in shock, really. From what I can find online, it feels lik eating EVERYTHING is off limits for one reason or another. Is there a comprehensive list of what I can and cannot have? Also, what's the deal with ice cream? I know soft serve is out, but am I allowed to go to Friendly's if I want or am I stuck with store bought? Although, some Friendlys flavore are sold in store Any suggestions for sandwiches and things like that since deli meats are out too? Thanks! So excited for our little one, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Eat as you normally would, IMHO. Soft serve is a big deal because the machines to serve it might not be clean. If you frequent a place that has good conditions then you should be fine. You can eat the soft serve as long as you trust the place it comes from. Same with sushi. I eat all of that and rare meat. I know the places I go to have high quality products and exceptional sanitation protocol. 

You can eat deli meat as long as its fresh. If you are worried then rinse the deli meat or heat it to steaming. I still eat plenty of subway and jimmy john's ice friggin' cold.

You are pregnant, not made of glass. Eat your food.   

LFAF Summer 2016 Awards:

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

• Options

I lived on ice cream , popsicles and frozen yogurt my entire first pregnancy.  I've never hear of not being able to have certain kinds like soft serve.  I guess as long as it's made with pasturized milk your're fine. 

As for a list, there is probably something on this site on one of the main pages.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DRB7586DRB7586 member
    I've never heard of the softserve thing either. Avoid high mercury fish, lower your caffeine, no alcohol, and deli meats are fine if you heat them up to steaming and then eat them. Just avoid things that probably don't look healthy, like buffets are known for having trouble keeping food at the correct temperature. Most things are fine.
    TTC since 12/12 BFP#1 1.11.13 Natural MC 2.11.13
  • Options
    KFiori1KFiori1 member
    This is my 3rd child and I have never heard of the soft serve thing. I am a fan of everything in moderation.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Thanks Prim.

My DH freaked out cause of stuff he heard from other couples that were pregnant. I just want to make sure that I'm not going to have to live with horrible food.
  • Options

imagepennstated912:
    Hi girls My DH and I found out on Sunday that we are expecting our first child still in shock, really. From what I can find online, it feels lik eating EVERYTHING is off limits for one reason or another. Is there a comprehensive list of what I can and cannot have? Also, what's the deal with ice cream? I know soft serve is out, but am I allowed to go to Friendly's if I want or am I stuck with store bought? Although, some Friendlys flavore are sold in store Any suggestions for sandwiches and things like that since deli meats are out too? Thanks! So excited for our little one, but I want to make sure I do this right.

Congratulations on your good news!  I found this to be helpful https://www.thebump.com/videos/what-not-to-eat-when-pregnant?id=1091803530001 

• Options
    Don't Google - ask your doctor.  Have you picked one yet?  If you have, give them a call and ask for a list of recommended guidelines.  My OB nurse mailed me a nice packet of recommendations and restrictions.  And you'll hear lots of ladies here who are okay with deli meat and soft serve - it's totally up to you.  If you really don't feel comfortable with it, then don't eat it.  Seriously, stay off the Google searches.  The internet will scare you into living in a glass bubble!
    Married June 16, 2012

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

First of all, congratulations! As to your question, at my first appointment, my doctor went over the list of off-limits foods with me.  The big ones were sushi, fish that's high in mercury, and unpasteurized cheese.  He said the concern with deli meat is the additives (and not listeria), but said that a hot dog or turkey sandwich once in a while would be fine.  I specifically asked about soft serve frozen custard and he said that was not a problem.    

I think the best resource for this information is your doctor.  If you look on the internet or read pregnancy books or seek advice from people on this board, you are always going to get conflicting views.  If you've found a doctor that you trust, s/he is the best person to go-to with your questions.  Otherwise you are going to drive yourself crazy. 

• Options
    My first prenatal appointment is Tuesday. I'm going to get a list from her then. Until then, I'm stepping away from Google.

Thanks again!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"