Pre-School and Daycare

Hearing Test 4yr old

DD has always been a huge talker but for the last couple of weeks she is having a really hard time with her listening. At first we thought it was behavioral but more and more the last few days we are realizing she really isn't hearing us well. DH brought her to our PCP this morning and they cleaned wax from her ears and mentioned scar tissue from where she had tubes put in as a baby for ear infections. They are referring us to get her hearing tested. MIL thinks it is a phase, I really have no idea what this is and pray that it is being blown out of proportion but idk.

Has anyone had their child tested at this age? What was it like?

Does anyone else have a child who suddenly seems to have trouble hearing?
-----------------------------
Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
click for toddler hilarity

Re: Hearing Test 4yr old

• DD has had her hearing tested lots of time between the ages of 3 and 4.  There has never been permanent damage, but had issues with fluid and eventually needed tubes and her adenoids out.

First they stick these "cottony things" in her ears and test the nerves.  She has never shown signs of nerve damage.  As for the hearing test itself, it was really easy.  They put her in a soundproof room and put headphones on her. The lady administering the test would say words (sometimes in both ears, sometimes one ear, different volumes, etc) and DD would have to repeat the word.  Then they gave her plastic monkeys and every time she hear a beep she had to toss a monkey in the bucket.  As she got older (4 and up), she would raise her hand every time she heard the beep.

Hope you get some answers!  GL!

DD~6 years old~born June 6, 2008 (1st grade)
    DS~4 years old~born November 6, 2010 (1st year of preschool)
  • Thank you!

This whole thing seems like there's got to be some kind of a mistake. It is so strange and makes no sense why she would suddenly be having issues.

-----------------------------
    Penelope Lynn 5.8.2009
    Harrison Peter 4.10.2012

Check out the blog at balletandbaseball.com
    click for toddler hilarity
  • Loading the player...
  • LSU628LSU628 member
    DD had her hearing tested as part of her speech eval. Like the pp they did the test to measure pressure. DD hated it and freaked out. The next part they put us in a booth and played tones from different angles. DD would look to see where the noise was coming from. Overall it was pretty easy and low stress. GL and hope you get some answers.
    imageimage
  • ppantsppants member
    DS had it his hearing checked at 3 because he talks very loudly. They put him in a sound proof booth and he was supposed to repeat words said to him. I *think* they also tested tone sounds, but I can't recall how they did it. After the test, we met with the ENT dr and he examined DS and told us he was fine, and he's just loud.
    Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD
  • Our ped does hearing tests at well visits starting at 3 or 4.  Both my kids had them way earlier though.  DD#1 had other health issues so had hers tested yearly just as part of her other tests and DD#2 had a mess of ear infections and had ear tubes at 18 months and had hearing tests before and after the tubes and at each ENT checkup which was yearly plus at her well visit each year (so twice a year).  She just had surgery last month to get one of the tubes removed (the other fell out) and her hearing was tested in March at her well visit.  Not sure if they are testing again at her post op next week or not (I can't recall).  Regardless, both my girls get hearing and vision tests at all well visits.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"