Stay at Home Moms
Options

spaghetti sauce recipe?

I've tried making it and it did not turn out too well.  Would anyone share their "recipe" with me?  TIA!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: spaghetti sauce recipe?

• Options

Someone from TB shared this a long time ago.  But, I love it.  I omit the sausage because we eat mostly vegetarian.

First I chop about 4-5 garlic cloves and put in hot oil in the bottom of a big stock pot (not too hot or garlic with burn) then add 2 hot italian sausage links cut into thirds and a big onion chopped and sautee for a few mins.  Then I add 2 cans (the big 14oz cans) of tomato sauce, 2 cans of crushed tomatoes and 2 cans of tomato paste.  I also add maybe half a small jar of prego for added taste.  Then fill the 2 cans of paste (they are very small) with water and add that much water. 

Then all the spices...I add as much as I want to taste!!  Oregano, basil, parsley, onion salt, galic powder, garlic salt, parm cheese, salt and pepper and sometimes a pinch of sugar if sauce has any bitterness.  

• Options
    kmc217kmc217 member

Best sauce ever (from Frankie's Spuntino in Brooklyn) - takes time but no effort and really is so delicious I tend to eat it by the spoon.

Saute 15 whole peeled gloves of garlic (smash a bit) in 1/2 cup good quality olive oil for about 10 min (do not let burn, remove from heat before they get burnt or more than lightly brown), add in a generous pinch of red pepper flakes for 30 seconds. Add in 4 (28 oz) cans of San Marzano tomatoes (must be San Marzano) that you have crushed with your hands and removed stems and basil leaves from and a generous pinch of sea salt. Allow to bubble (but not rapidly boil) on the stovetop for at least 4 hours, stirring occasionally and smashing garlic against the side of the pan- it will literally melt. It will reduce by at least half but is so, so, so delicious.

You can also simmer meatballs or any other kind of meat you want in it to make it more of a Bolognese style.   

DD1 7/10/08  DD2 8/11/10  DS 7/2/13

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    We chop up onion, a few cloves of garlic, and about two each of carrots and celery. Sautee them in a healthy amount of butter or lard, and then add canned diced tomatoes when they are soft, along w dried oregano and some bay leaves. Simmer it for at least 30 minutes or so, fish out the bay leaf, and food process or use a soup blender to make it smooth. I add fresh minced basil to it at that point, also.

You add mushrooms or peppers to the veggies also, they make for a different flavored sauce.
    DS1 - Feb 2008

DS2 - Oct 2010 (my VBAC baby!)

• Options

Saute onion, garlic, and whatever veggies you want in olive oil.

Brown meat (I use ground buffalo).

Combine 2 large cans tomato sauce, can of sliced olives, italian herbs, parmesan with the meat, onions, garlic, and veggies in the crockpot and let it cook on low for a few hours.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I like this one from Alton Brown. It's a good base that you can jazz up if you like. This makes about 4 cups I believe. I've made it with fresh Romas when they are in season, but also with canned tomatoes and it came out still tasty.

Ingredients
    20 Roma tomatoes, halved and seeded
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
    1 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup finely diced onion
    2 teaspoons minced garlic
    1 tablespoon finely chopped oregano leaves
    1 tablespoon finely chopped thyme leaves
    1 cup white wine
    Directions
    Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.

In 2 (13 by 9-inch) pans place tomato halves cut side up. Sprinkle with oil, salt and pepper, onion, garlic, and herbs. Bake tomatoes for 2 hours. Check the tomatoes after 1 hour and turn down the heat if they seem to be cooking too quickly. Then turn the oven to 400 degrees and bake another 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and process tomatoes through a food mill on medium dye setting over a small saucepan. Discard skins. Add white wine, bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook for 5 minutes.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"