Homeschooling

Local Homeschooling Groups?

I'm involved in a few homeschooling forums online, but I'd love to have some physical support from others in my area. I've done some online searches for groups in my area but nothing seems to really come up. 

Anyone involved in any local homeschooling groups or plan on seeking some out? How did you go about finding one?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
Proverbs 3:5-6

Re: Local Homeschooling Groups?

• Ds1 will be taking 4 classes once a week through a homeschool coop. We are also joining a huge coop that is more of a support/ social group. It's huge and they do field trips, field days, a year book, moms nights out, holiday parties and more. We also have a few more area coops that we are not doing now. We have lots of options in my area. 

• Every time I do research all I find is that they have tried to have them in my area, but always fail. I am pretty sure that their is one, but I think it meets the same time as my moms group (which I lead).

DD1 | Jan 2009
    DD2 | June 2011
    DS1 | Oct 2013
       ADD3 | Oct 2014 (April 2001)
    DS2 | June 2016
    DS3 | Dec 2018

Due with baby blob August 2021

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I stumbled across one group through a Google search.  I had typed in my county name and homeschool to look for opportunities in the local museums and parks for my kids and the group name popped up.  I'll be joining it this fall - they do enrichment days, field trips, classes, and physical education opportunities for the kids.

After I found that one, I found another simply by talking to a mother at the park.  She didn't want to join the first one I was talking about because it had fees associated with it, so she and a few other mothers decided to form their own little group.  They do outings together and have little class parties (for example, they had a Valentine exchange in February with a little party).  This group seems to be very young and geared more toward younger elementary school students while the first group is more diverse.

Another option (if you're a religious homeschooler) would be to call around to local churches.  A lot of them have homeschool groups that you could join.

• It might just be my area, but we have a lot of them. There is a very active one through Facebook, and another via Yahoo groups. I've even found some local blogs written by homeschoolers. You might also look on Meetup.com. There are also a lot of local groups of homeschoolers who have met through their churches. 

Almost everything I've found has just been through word of mouth though. If you can find one or two people who homeschool in your area they can probably point you in the right direction.  

Married 07.07.07. Mom to 3: Ruby 11/08 and Oliver & Austin 12/11
  • Ritzy19Ritzy19 member
    Thanks for the suggestions ladies!

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Trust in the LORD with all your heart, and lean not on your own understanding.
    In all your ways acknowledge Him,and He shall direct your paths.
    Proverbs 3:5-6

• Also check meetup.com
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicImage and video hosting by TinyPicBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker>

• big fat ditto to this-- we inadvertently found all 3 of our local homeschool groups on here. Two of them are incredibly active, and we get together 2-3 times a week with each. We do co-op style activities, park days, volunteer/service events with the kids, science and other museum fieldtrips, playdates, factory tours, berry picking, etc. LOVE my group of homeschool peeps!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"