Toddlers: 24 Months+
Options

XP: Perfectionism in a toddler

As a FTM, and nothing to really compare it to; my daughter seems to have perfectionist tendencies. 

For the most part she doesn't cry/whine when she doesn't get her way...but when she can't do something right the very first time/try.

Some examples are: putting on her shoes, not figuring out the puzzle the first time, not having her circles completely joined when she draws them.

Today, she was coloring and was spelling her name and trying to write the letters of her name. (Of course they were just squiggles and lines) But she got so frustrated/mad at herself that her letters didn't look anything like the letters in her name.

Any ideas to help her?  

My daughter is my hero.

Re: XP: Perfectionism in a toddler

• Options
    My DD was like that but for better as she got older about things. I would just talk to her about things like 'that's ok if you can do that, we will practice it and it takes time'. Talking her down helped a lot. GL!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Dd is the same. In addition to getting frustrated if she can't do something right; she also will not try something if she doesn't kniw for sure that she will be able to do it perfectly. This has reared its ugly head whenever she has tried to learn something new including walking, potty training, and made her gmnastics class close to disastrous.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I've heard it's completely normal for toddlers. I was worried about DS a while ago, but he's calmed down somewhat. The tip I've gotten is also to try to help her manage her frustration. Frustration is normal and as they get better at doing certain tasks, they'll get less frustrated, but it will always exist. Encourage her to try again, try it a different way, take a break and try again, ask for help, etc.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"