May 2012 Moms

Introducing nuts

DD turn 1 year old on May 5.  I was wondering when you started giving your child nuts and peanut butter?  I'm allergic to nuts so of course I'm hoping DD is not.  I know the theory of waiting is better is not necessarily true any more but I just thought I'd ask you what your experiences have been.  TIA! 
Daisypath Anniversary tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker

Re: Introducing nuts

• wedseptwedsept member

My entire family has allergies.  So, I will tell you what our pedi told us.  Yes, there is a benefit to waiting if you have a family history of allergies.  She told us to wait till 2 to introduce peanut butter.  No actual nuts until 3 since they are a choking hazard.

• DS1 has a mild peanut allergy. We were told to introduce peanuts early to ds2. I can't remember when we introduced it, but it was a few months ago. I would talk to the pedi or even your allergist. There are many studies out there. Some say give early, some say hold off. DS1's allergist and pedi were both in camp give it early. The allergist gave DS2 a peanut allergy test before we gave it to him. Allergy tests that early are not always accurate, but it did make me feel more comfortable.
  • Loading the player...
  • cltk12cltk12 member

We have no allergies in our families so DS has been eating peanut butter for a few months now. 

Like pp said, no actual nuts til age 3 as they are a choking hazard. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am so over tired right now, all I can think about on the topic of introducing nuts is this: "This is my peanut. His name is Larry."

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Lucas has had pb by accident for a long time, Nathan likes to share with baby so it just happened but I gave him pb toast the morning of his dr appointment.

He's had cookies or granola barswith walnuts and almonds before a year.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Untitled
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"