Homeschooling

Reading/Phonics programs

Hi all,

I am so glad to have found this board! My husband and I have decided to homeschool our four year old daughter ( and our 2 year old when the time comes). I have been doing a lot of research, and there is just so much out there regarding reading/phonics. I would like to teach dd to read soon and was wondering if anyone has had a good experience with a particular program/curriculum? I've looked at the Bob books, and they seem like fun readers to start out with, but I am thinking I will probably need a more formal curriculum to start out with. What do you think?

Re: Reading/Phonics programs

• McGuffy's readers and primer. They might seem terribly old fashioned when you see what they look like, but the primer taught me and all my siblings how to read, write, and correctly pronounce words at the ripe young ages of 4 and 5, and the readers kept us going through the rest of our childhood. Check them out!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I Have heard endless positive reviews of Teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons- even from trained teachers. I plan to try this first before buying any expensive curriculum for phonics and learning how to read. GL!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker 

February 2011- M/C
    March 2011- BFP resulting in... 12/2011 bouncing baby boy! 
    October 2013- BFP- M/C
  • Loading the player...
  • imagedoodlyjane:
    McGuffy's readers and primer. They might seem terribly old fashioned when you see what they look like, but the primer taught me and all my siblings how to read, write, and correctly pronounce words at the ripe young ages of 4 and 5, and the readers kept us going through the rest of our childhood. Check them out!

These are what I started with for DS1.  I have since decided to use a different curriculum for the rest of my kids (just because my personality requires more structure than the McGuffey materials could provide), but they worked well for DS.

• tjkdlhbtjkdlhb member

*lurker*

I'm not homeschooling... DD is only 12 months and will go to the school here, but I am 1/2 Kindergarten 1/2 Special Needs teacher and I really like the www.readinga-z.com and www.raz-kids.com

They have printable books, worksheets and detailed lessons that outline what to do. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We used Teach Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons with our oldest when she was in preschool because she was super eager to read.  I loved it!  The lessons were quick (15-20 min) and she really retained a lot.  She just finished traditional kindergarten (we're homeschooling from here on out), and was one of the most advanced readers in her class.  Her class actually taught the expanded version of this program too, so continuity was great.

That said, we're trying the Logic of English curriculum for 1st grade.  I really like the concept of learning ALL the English rules in early reading.

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers >Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
  • Ds1 will start homeschool kinder in the fall. We are about 40 lessons into teach your child to read in 100 easy lessons and he is doing great with it. He is decoding simple words and sentences easily. We will start Saxon phonics in the fall but it will be too easy for him so we will fly through it I'm sure. I used Saxon phonics in my class when I taught kindergarten so I bought it a while back when I decided to homeschool. 
  • We're using the Bob books and Explode the Code workbooks for phonics.
  • I worked with my oldest, teaching her sounds of things, and the occasional sight word flash cards (her choice!), but she ultimately made the connection between using the BOB app on the ipad and then looking at a word, she just decided to start sounding out one day. Then we checked out the bob books from the library, and she was off and running!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"