Pre-School and Daycare

Do you give fluorinated water to your toddler?

Hi Ladies,

Do you give fluorinated water to your toddlers? We have the nursery water in our house that we use? I know that there has been encouragement to drink fluorinated water for the prevention of cavities. However, I came across some information on the internet about how bad fluoride can be?

Rec's please?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Do you give fluorinated water to your toddler?

• Fluorine is different than fluoride but I don't think there is such a thing as fluorinated water so I think maybe just word confusion....

and yes my children get fluoridated water and I was raised on it my whole life...totally anecdotal but I did not get a cavity until age 33...and I have unfortunately had four in recent years and interestingly have stopped drinking tap water for the most part bc the places I have lived in recent years have had really gross tasting water and mh buys bottled water by the case so it is always around...probably not a contributing factor in my recent cavities but still interesting. 

Most pedis recommend a fluoride supplement if it is not in your water.. 

• They drink tap, so yep, they're getting fluoride. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Yes. And we moved to a town without it and my stepdaughter got about five cavities within two or three years from 14 to 16yo and she had zero before new had no idea that the water was not flourinated.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Our water is not fluoridated so my kids take a fluoride supplement everyday. My oldest just started using fluoride toothpaste but her dentist said to continue giving her the supplement because it will strengthen her adult teeth.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • My DS take a supplement since our city water doesn't have it.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • shannmshannm member

Yes, I give her our tap water.

I grew up on well water and I wish my parents were more diligent about getting me fluoride treatment.  My teeth are a mess. 

• imageechowysp2:
    They drink tap, so yep, they're getting fluoride. 

ditto!! 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • meg1974meg1974 member

No, because of the dangers of flouride that mentioned reading about. It has been linked to cancer, etc. They will get it in their toothpaste once they are old enough to spit it out. That way, it will be directly on their teeth and not swallowed. 

I grew up on non-floridated water and have never had a cavity. I question its benefits as well.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagemeg1974:

No, because of the dangers of flouride that mentioned reading about. It has been linked to cancer, etc. They will get it in their toothpaste once they are old enough to spit it out. That way, it will be directly on their teeth and not swallowed. 

I grew up on non-floridated water and have never had a cavity. I question its benefits as well.  

All of this! But I have yet to switch DS's toothpaste.
    April 2009
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"