April 2011 Moms

Please Help...Working Mom to SAHM

Hey everyone, I need some advice help. We are looking at buying another ranch and I have the option to potentially stay at home with my children (or drive 20-40 miles to work). I truthfully have always been fairly career oriented but half of my monthly income goes to daycare for my 2 yr old and 6 mo old. So between that, and gas money is it really worth it for a couple years... So...maybe do some work from home? Or do I try and find something part time, this is a rural reservation area so i'm not sure what is all available. Ideas, Opinions, suggestions ladies! Did I mention I love this board, you girls are always here for everyone too!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Please Help...Working Mom to SAHM

• GHBEAGHBEA member

This is one reason I stay home is the money I make would  pay for child care.  After figuring out paying it compared to staying home it was cheaper for me to stay at home.  Part time would be good if you need/want time to get out and earn a little bit of money.  If you are crafty or can build web sites and things like that you could have an at home business.  

For me with a 2 yr old and a 6 month old I can not do any work from home business yet.  This is just me though I am sure there are moms out there that can do this.

It is an adjustment to being home all day with the LOs from working all day but you will find what works best for all of you. 

Mom to 4 wonderful daughters
                                 Breanna, Ellie and 
                                 our 2 rainbow babies.

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Are you using the reservation daycare still? If so, can you use it part-time? Our reservation daycare has hourly rates, so you could still work part-time a few days a week if you wanted to.

I just think you might go a little stir-crazy being away from adults and that rural. 

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Loading the player...
  • Resigning was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It freaked me out at first but after a month or so I settled into being a SAHM. It's definitely hard work, but it is the best kind of hard work and so incredibly rewarding. I love the bond that DS and I have and feel so lucky I can spend so much time with him until he goes off to Kindergarten in a few years.

This might sound weird but it has made me more patient and tolerant of DS and babies/toddlers in general. Most of the time the tantrums, neediness & craziness that comes along with little ones doesn't phase me as much as it used to when I was working with adults all day. I guess you become more accustomed to it since you are around it all the time. Personally, I feel like I became a better mom and partner once I started SAH. 

It was really tough on me to juggle both a career and a family. This probably sounds terrible but the last thing I wanted to do after spending a long day at the office working my off was to come home and attend to an incredibly needy child. I was exhausted and burnt out and both my career and my family were suffering. I couldn't give 100% to both and I didn't feel that it was fair to my company or my family and I ultimately decided that I had to choose between the two. I chose my family. I have so much respect for working moms because I know how tough it was and I wasn't able to do it successfully  

I don't miss the adult interaction that I got from work because I spend a lot of time around adults, they just happen to have kids with them :) We go to the playground, museum and his music and art classes during the week so we are around other kids and parents quite a bit. This might be an issue for you though since you mentioned you live in a more rural area.  We also have a bunch of friends in our city and we usually host dinners at our house every weekend after DS goes to sleep. I feel like a have a nice balance of children/adult interaction.

That being said, some days are incredibly tough and tiring and I do look forward to nap time every day but the good far outweighs the bad. It isn't for everyone though. Not sure if this is a possibility, but could you try it out for a couple of months and then decide if you want to go back to work?  

We ended up making the final decision for me to stay at home because after daycare, the occasional lunches out and gas I really wasn't making much take home money. To tell you the truth my work seemed somewhat trivial after I had a child. I just didn't enjoy it like I did before having DS. My DH had better insurance and made a lot more money than I did so that made the decision easier. It was also better for his career, he used to have to take off from work occasionally if I couldn't get off when DS or our DCP was sick. Now we can use his PTO for actual vacations!

DH is really supportive and if I've had a tough day and need him to completely take over when he gets home from work so I can have some "me time" he steps up. On Saturdays he usually takes DS to breakfast and the park in the morning so they can have some bonding time and I can sleep in or lay in bed and read. It definitely helps having a supportive partner so you can have a break every once in a while. It would be really difficult without his help.

Like I said earlier SAH isn't for everyone but these are my personal experiences with working vs SAH. Hope this helps in some way. Good luck! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic     
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"