Pre-School and Daycare

CP: 4 yrs old- car seat on plane or not?

Is the poll feature gone? I can't seem to get it to work and I'm on a laptop...

S/o from my question about plane activities for a 4 yr old. I was not even considering having them sit in car seats on the plane b/c it just seemed odd to me for 4 yr old kids and I think they'd want to sit in the regular seat and have a little more movement ability, plus be able to sit on our laps if they want or rest their head on our lap or shoulder, etc... 

Do you/would you have your 4 yr old sit in a car seat on a plane or just check it?

Re: CP: 4 yrs old- car seat on plane or not?

• I would (and do) check my car seat.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelaurenmatt:
    I would and do check my car seat.

I do. DD does fine bucked in with no car seats.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • lawry13lawry13 member
    I always check the car seat.  
  • My 3.5 year old DS rides in his car seat on the plane. He's much easier to manage that way lol. He does fine, he doesn't know any different and isn't bothered at all. As a matter of fact, he probably more comfortable sleeping in his seat than the plane seat because of the wings on the car seat where he can rest his head.
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • jc&catjc&cat member

imagelauren&matt:
    I would (and do) check my car seat.

This. He is plenty big enough to sit in the seat and be occupied with whatever we bring.

• I would check it. We're not bringing DS's this summer bc we don't need it when we arrive.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I used it when LO was younger but we check it now and it is so much nicer.  There's room to cuddle and he's pretty active too.

One down side:  you can't check it at curbside baggage check - you have to wait in line inside.  But . . . totally worth it. 

• jlw2505jlw2505 member
    I check the car seat.  At 4, kids can sit on the plane and if in a car seat, they spend the whole time kicking the seat in front of them.  Planes are just way to small for car seats with bigger kids.  If you are concerned about him staying in his seat with just the waist belt, you can look into the special kid 5 point harness airplane seats although depending on size, he might already be too big for those.  My kids fly great and we have no issues and we don't use anything special.  They are 5 years and almost 7 years now and we have flown at least 1-2 times a year since they were infants.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • steverstever member
    I wouldn't put my almost 4yo in a car seat on a plane.
  • LoCarbLoCarb member
    I check the car seat and bring the iPad for the plane. I have a CARES harness and do not need it for the 4 yo
  • Nope.  I fly with my trio alone & can't haul carseats. I do bring a the CARES for DS2 but that will end soon.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I just flew with my 3 year old twins and a lap baby. No car seats for anyone. I had enough to juggle and they all did great.
  • If you're worried about safety or keeping them somewhat restrained, there is a store on ebay that rents CARES harnesses. I think it was $13 but not sure.

• I would think it would be tight to have a 4 year old in a car seat on a plane.  We didn't a few weeks ago.  We checked them.  We also chose seats towards the back of the plane so potty breaks and moving was easier.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I would to protect my seat if I need it on the other end. Just this past week someone posted on parenting that the airline LOST her seat and she was stuck scrambling at the airport for a way to transport her child.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagepenguingrrl:
    I would to protect my seat if I need it on the other end. Just this past week someone posted on parenting that the airline LOST her seat and she was stuck scrambling at the airport for a way to transport her child.

OH geez I didn't think of the lost car seat situation LOL.
    It isn't a safety issue for me- I really didn't even think of putting them in carseats on the plane at their age but some posts in a previous post I made referred to putting kids this age in carseats and I was surprised to hear that, so I thought I'd ask around.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"