Homeschooling

Catholic Curriculum

Looking for a Catholic Homeschool Curriculum, thoughts??
BFP#1 4/8/2012 DD born at 35 weeks on 11/10/12
BFP#2 11/13, Ectopic diagnosed 12/6/13, Tube and Ectopic Removal 12/16/13 
BFP#3 3/14, Natural M/C 3/18/14 
BFP#4 4/18/14, heard heart beat (164) 5/14/14, EDD 12/25/14

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Catholic Curriculum

• Well-known Catholic curriuculums include Seton, Mother of Divine Grace, Kolbe Academy, Our Lady of Victory, and I'm blanking on at least one other.

FWIW, we are practicing Catholics and plan on HS. We have not decided what curriculum we will use. We aren't limiting ourselves to strictly Catholic ones. If we choose a non-Catholic curriculum (which seems likely at this point), we would supplement. 

ETA: Sorry, can't make this clicky but https://www.christismyking.com/why-homeschool/ has links to those I mentioned and more. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imagebarnwife:
    Well-known Catholic curriuculums include Seton, Mother of Divine Grace, Kolbe Academy, Our Lady of Victory, and I'm blanking on at least one other.

FWIW, we are practicing Catholics and plan on HS. We have not decided what curriculum we will use. We aren't limiting ourselves to strictly Catholic ones. If we choose a non-Catholic curriculum (which seems likely at this point), we would supplement. 

ETA: Sorry, can't make this clicky but https://www.christismyking.com/why-homeschool/ has links to those I mentioned and more. 

The one I used with my older ds for 7th grade was Seton.  Ds didn't like it integrating religion into EVERY subject except math (at his level)  If I can convince dh to hs  ds2, I would pick the subjects from a variety of curriculums.

I used Kolbe with dd for her third grade year.  It was good but not quite a match for us.

YBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

I'm a fan of The Cloth Diaper Tech Support group on Facebook
  • Loading the player...
  • I have been looking at Catholic Heritage Curricula.  I think it will be best for our fam from what I've read so far.  I like that it seems to incorporate religious teachings into each subject but that's not for everyone.  The price seems pretty reasonable.  I read that they aren't as overwhelming as Seton and that it easily fits into your life without leaving out anything.
  • kldole3kldole3 member
    I know I haven't posted on this board before, but I was homeschooled from 5-8th grade using the Kolbe Academy curriculum. I enjoyed it, although sometimes it was not challenging enough for me. It did, however, allow me to further supplement with other books and resources so its quite flexible. I think the biggest factor we found needing additional supplement was history. And for what its worth, when I did go back to regular school for high school, I was already well ahead of my classmates in nearly every subject just from the basic curriculum they use.
  • I have never posted on this board, but I do home school. We have finished upfor the year, 2nd, 2nd, and 4th grade. My oldest goes to a Catholic Middle School. We have used Seton for the last 2 years and love it. My oldest was very well prepared for middle school when we sent her (for various reasons). The other 3 girls are doing very well.

We tried Catholic Heritage Curriculum and found it too easy. My girls were bored, even when we bumped them up a grade.

HTH

Angi - mom to dd11, dd9, dd7, dd7, and ds due this week! 

Mom to DD1 - almost 11 DD2 - 9 years old DD3 and DD4 - twins aged 7 Sea Monkey EDD 5/26/2013 Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • imageverovladamir:

I did both Seton and Kolbe when I was home schooled. Seton is probably the most common. I thought Seton was also a little more...modern? They also do some of the grading for you, I think.

Like I said, I did it as a student, so I can't speak to it as the parent/teacher.

I did Seton when I was homeschooled, but they are VERY strict and rigorous.  I loved the education-- it was far more intensive than anything I had in public school.  They are somewhat like a corrispondance course.  Like Verovladamir said, you mail in term papers and tests and they grade them for you.  Seton was easy for my mom to teach because it is already planned out and all the materials come from Seton-- but we only did it in High School, not the early grades.  That said, Seton is VERY stringent on their education.  My brother was failing English as a Sophomore in High School through Seton.  My mother helped him essentially write his English Final Paper-- she is a published author, editor, and has her Bachelors in Teaching with a minor in English-- and SHE only got a C on the paper.

When we were younger, my mom did curricula like LifePacs and Konos and suplemented the Bible with Caltholic lessons.  I plan on doing AcePaces with my 1st grader this fall, but at her level, Bible is mostly the same.  I will of course be using Catholic Lessons and a Catholic Bible.

We're Going to be a Family of 5!

Lilypie - (PaHE) Lilypie - (4noI)

Lilypie - (2q9u)

• Mater Amabilis is a free Catholic curriculum. Like Ambleside Online, it is based on the methods of Charlotte Mason.
    Mary Jane {12} Kaden {10} Eliza {4} Due Sept. '14

CafeMom Tickers

Considering . . . Agatha, Beatrix, Clara, Daphne, Isadora, Josephine, Matilda, Philippa, Tabitha, Winifred . . .
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"