1st Trimester
Options

Uterus measuring large?

I am right just about 12 weeks according to my chart, but at my first appointment today the midwife said my uterus was measuring closer to 15 weeks. Since there is NO way I am 15 weeks pregnant (unless my body managed to fake a period, ha) she said it was probably just because I'm a small woman.  

But then I got in the car and started driving home and suddenly thought ... could that mean it's twins?? She didn't say anything about it, but now I'm wondering ... 

Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

image image image

Re: Uterus measuring large?

• Options

Yes, there is a possibility that measuring large is multiples. But keep in mind that everyone's uterus grows at different rates (mine was measuring about 9.5 weeks at my last appointment, but an ultrasound showed 1 baby measuring 8w1d)

If you feel that you can't wait until your next appointment for more answers, give your doctor a call. She may be able to fit you in for an ultrasound just to make sure it's one.

Suprise BFP: 8/17/11 (previous relationship)
    Natural m/c: 10/17/11
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Me (Katie)
    DX:PCOS
    DH (Adam
    Married 10/11/12
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC #1 since 3/12
  • Options

The same thing happened to me with my 2nd pregnancy.  I was measuring ahead at 8 weeks, more like 10-12 weeks, so she had me come back at 10 weeks to do an u/ s to see what was going on.  Nothing was up, just one happy kicking baby!  

This time my midwife just said I was measuring 'as she expected' which I know is ahead but is normal for a 3rd pregnancy.  I can feel the top of my uterus a good 2-3 inches above my pubic bone already.

its probably nothing, but if its really bugging you (like it was me!) you could call and ask for an u/s.  good luck! 

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    It's not an exact science. I measured ahead with my 2nd, and it appears that #3 is doing the same. I chalk mine up to it not being my first pregnancy, my body knows the drill.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
  • Options
    I was larger than expected at my first appointment as well. Turns out it is only a singleton. Larger can possibly be multiples but doesn't necessarily mean it is.
    imageimageimageimage

• Options

I've never even been measured until well into the second trimester, 18+ weeks or so. Measuring this early seems quite useless, IMO, because the uterus doesn't generally even peek above the pubic bone until around the end of the first trimester.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageLissa832:
    I've never even been measured until well into the second trimester, 18 weeks or so. Measuring this early seems quite useless, IMO, because the uterus doesn't generally even peek above the pubic bone until around the end of the first trimester.
    I'm always checked at my first appointment, around 10to11 weeks. She does it along with my internal. The past 3 pregnancies [my second, third and currrent] I've been above my pelvic bone at close to 11 weeks. Each body is different, especially when it's not your first. So I don't see them checking to be useless.
    imageimage    
    imageimage
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"