Food & Nutrition
Options

Bugs for dinner!

Did any of you see this article? https://news.yahoo.com/un-eat-more-insects-good-good-world-145950434.html

UN is advising us to eat more insects. I personally thinks, despite the ick factor, that its really great idea. Lots of fiber, protein, better for the environment, and more sustainable. I don't see it catching on too quick but I'm glad it getting a little press.

Whatcha think? Gunna try eating insects anytime soon?

Re: Bugs for dinner!

• Options
    I have had crickets before, just tasted like sunflower seeds. I don't see eating bugs as a big deal.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicPhotobucket
  • Options
    I think it would depend on how they're prepared.  My big issue would be eating something that looked like a bug.  I know where chickens come from, but I'm more comfortable eating them after the feathers, beaks, and feet have been removed.  Same idea.
    June '15 January Siggy Challenge.  Pinterest Fails

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

imageblu-eyedwife:
    I think it would depend on how they're prepared.  My big issue would be eating something that looked like a bug.  I know where chickens come from, but I'm more comfortable eating them after the feathers, beaks, and feet have been removed.  Same idea.

ITA. 

Bugs = icky to me, so I would have a hard time grabbing a beetle and eating it.  Sort of the same reason why I can't bring myself to try things like crawfish - I don't like the idea of pulling off it's head and sucking out the insides. 

imageimage
  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea on paper but I don't know how much it'll catch on. I personally don't see myself munching down on any buggies any time soon. On the other hand how different is it from eating a lobster, crab or crawdad? It's also not like we don't already use insects in our food in the form of dyes & other additives...
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

imageSpruceGrouse:
    I have had crickets before, just tasted like sunflower seeds. I don't see eating bugs as a big deal.

I had mine chocolate covered!!

That might take away the health side of things...

• Options
    imagecandrew05:

imageSpruceGrouse:

I had mine chocolate covered!!

That might take away the health side of things...

If all bugs were chocolate covered I may be able to get on board with this idea.

imageimage
  • Options
    Um, no. However, my sister did just find a bug in her salad the other day when we were out to lunch so I will be sharing this with her!

photo May2014jpg photo MomTatWhiteNew40jpg

It’s not that I don’t like you, it’s that I don’t know you. Stranger Danger.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"