Military Families
Options

WWYD Christmas Plans

I know it is early to start thinking about this but I am so I thought I would as your opinion. DH will be deploying this fall and will be gone through the holiday season. For both DH and my family our DS will be the first grandkid. It is DH's family's turn for Christmas this year and my family's turn for Thanksgiving. It is physically impossible to see both families on the same holiday. My family lives about 9 hours driving from his family.

I am thinking about going to my own family's Christmas this year instead and asking DH's family if they would mind switching this year since I imagine they would want DH and the baby there. I feel kind of rude doing this since in fairness it is not their fault we chose to have a baby and we chose for DH to deploy. But at the same time I am not 100% comfortable with his family by myself. I know if I ask they would understand, although may be a little dissapointed they don't get "baby's first Christmas".

What would you do?

Re: WWYD Christmas Plans

• Options
    Personally, I would do Christmas with my family. If you know his family will be understanding, then I would just let them know that with DH deployed, you would feel more comfortable spending the holiday with your family. That's just me.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    Personally, I would stay home and invite both sets of grandparents to my house. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:
    I agree. Give them both a chance to see the baby.
  • Options

If it were me I would travel to my parents for Christmas and then make plans to visit the ILs after DH returns.  I haven't experienced a deployment but I have had DH take long school and training trips and those are stressful with kids, deployments have to be worse.  There is just no way I would want to be sitting alone at my ILs during that time, especially Christmas.  They are nice people, they just stress me out on good days. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    ehnastoehnasto member

imagekhall1284:
    imagemeltoine:

I wish I could do this but with the way Christmas is run at both households it just wouldn't be possible. 

• Options
    I would go to my own family's for Christmas and do Thanksgiving with your h's family.  Tell them you want to switch this year so that next year when your H is home you will be with his family.
  • Options
    Even if I had a great relationship with DH's family, I wouldn't stick to the schedule. The schedule, IMO, is only valid when dh is there. When he is not, it is your decision what to do. It should resume normally once h is back.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imagemeltoine:
    Personally, I would stay home and invite both sets of grandparents to my house.nbsp;

This! If that doesn't pan out then I would do Thanksgiving with his and Christmas with mine.
    TTC April 2013
    M/C 1/15 @ 6 weeks
    RE 8/16
    Monitored Clomid 11/15
    M/C 12/16 @ 6 weeks
    Clomid & Ovidrel Shot
    M/C 2/16 @ 8 weeks
    *Currently on Clomid (monitored) and waiting on tissue results.
  • Options
    KIR2DS4KIR2DS4 member

imageLissa832:
    Even if I had a great relationship with DH's family, I wouldn't stick to the schedule. The schedule, IMO, is only valid when dh is there. When he is not, it is your decision what to do. It should resume normally once h is back.

I agree with this. What does your husband think? I know we "skipped" a year when he was gone for training. We were close enough to see his family after Christmas, and they were very understanding. I think it would be nice to make a special trip (or invite them up) when he's back, so they feel included in everything. But holidays are stressful enough without having to stress over this too much. I'm sure they'll understand.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options

imageBeachy730:
    I would go to my own family's for Christmas and do Thanksgiving with your h's family.  Tell them you want to switch this year so that next year when your H is home you will be with his family.

This.  Spin it so it seems positive ;).

Married 6/28/03

Kate ~ 7/3/09 *** Connor ~ 11/11/10

4 miscarriages: 2007, 2009, 2013, 2014

*~*~*~*~*

No more TTC for us. We are done, and at peace, as a family of 4.

"Suffering has been stronger than all other teaching, and has taught me to understand what your heart used to be. I have been bent and broken, but – I hope – into a better shape.” — Charles Dickens

• Options

imagejasminelorraine20:
    Personally, I would do Christmas with my family. If you know his family will be understanding, then I would just let them know that with DH deployed, you would feel more comfortable spending the holiday with your family. That's just me.

I agree with this.  DH is also deploying at the end of the year and I will be flying from FL to TX to spend xmas with my brother and his family and my mom will be flying there too from CA.  

• Options
    imageehnasto:

imagekhall1284:
    imagemeltoine:

I wish I could do this but with the way Christmas is run at both households it just wouldn't be possible. 

For this year if I were you, I would probably go to my family. But, in the future, I would not be traveling to either family for every single holiday. Traveling with a baby or toddler is an ordeal, and we made it clear that with soon to be three kids we aren't doing cross country flights. Our families have to come to us. Plus, plane tickets for holidays are crazy expensive for my routes.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"