November 2011 Moms

Ear infections

LO never had an ear infection until he turned one. Ever since Nov he has had 3 maybe 4. All have been almost infections until now. He has 2 ear infections and they are bad And his eyes are all red and oozing a little. I feel like when he is better another one comes along. Him and his dad keep getting each other sick and husband never got sick until LO was born.
So the question is.... Is 18m/2y too old to get tubes? Are we headed that way?
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Ear infections

• No 18m/2y is not too young. My LO had tubes put in when he was 14m. He had an ear infection every 3 weeks since he was 6m. To answer the question of are you headed that way, it depends on what your ENT says. Our ENT said 8 infections in a year, or if the fluid in the ears didn't dry up inbetween the infections. Or if he can't hear. Yes, they do hearing tests on babies.

If you aren't taking LO to an ENT, start a relationship with one now. Increase hand washing with your LO and your H. Elevate LO's mattress and use a cool air humidifier. Limit water in the ear at bathtime (I fold the top of the ear down while wetting LO's head) and use ear plugs when swimming. The plugs are ENT recommends are by Ear Bandit.

If your LO does need tubes, make sure the doctor does both ears. Sometimes, if only one ear was done, they have to go back and put a tube in the other ear a few months later. LO's surgery went very well. He wasn't taking more than 3 steps before falling down prior to the tubes. After the tubes were placed, the same day, he was taking 6 and 7 steps. GL!

ETA: I just saw that your age question was asked if your LO was too old. He is on the younger side for kids. Average age for tubes is 4y. Even adults have been known to get tubes. Tubes can be put in just about any age past 1y if they are required.

• My friend's five yearold got tubes yesterday so I would say that it is not too old.

BFP #1 10/13/09 EDD 06/20/10 DS Born on 06/26/10
    BFP #2 03/08/11 EDD 11/16/11 DD Born on 11/04/11
    BFP #3 08/29/12 EDD 05/06/13 M/C on 08/30/12
    BFP #4 11/01/12 EDD 07/09/2013 M/C on 12/28/12
    BFP #5 04/30/13 EDD 01/03/14 DS Born on 01/02/14
    BFP #6 01/11/15 EDD 09/22/15 M/C 03/09/15
  • Loading the player...
  • Our pedi referred us for tubes when she had back to back ear infections and he was seeing fluid build-up in her ears even when she didn't have an infection. Get the tubes!! It makes a world of difference. When DD stopped having ear infections, her whole attitude changed for the better. I could tell she felt better. DD gets in a lot more trouble more often when she doesn't feel good. So when we got the tubes and the infections went away, I was able to enjoy her a lot more because I wasn't constantly dealing with a cranky child. 

Oh, and she was 17 months old. There really isn't an age limit on tubes. I work with a woman who's daughter had to have tubes put in multiple times (they are supposed to fall out after a year or so) and she was 8 years old when her last set of tubes were inserted.

Married 5/31/08 * TTC#1 9/09 - 2/11
    after anovulatory diagnosis and TTC for 1 1/2yrs with several medicated cycles and one chemical pregnancy, we have our first bundle of joy!
    IT'S A GIRL!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    #2 EDD 2/5/13 dx with anti-BIG E antibody, seeing a MFM
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    VOTE on my Name List
    I don't take one single minute for granted.
  • StefB28StefB28 member
    We have an ENT appt for both boys on Monday-- DS2 has had an ear infection constantly since Thanksgiving, with only a week or two that he was well. It's miserable. Ask your pedi, but if s/he doesn't recommend them & you think LO might need them, I'd get a second opinion. Our pedi has not referred us to the ENT, but I'm taking them to be evaluated anyway.
  • For those who opted for tubes, did you choose sedation or no sedation? Our LO is 18 months and needs tubes.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"