Birthday Parties
Options

Picking the theme

When did/will you let your LO pick their birthday theme? For DS I picked the 1st, gave him 3 or 4 choices to pick from for his 2nd and now for his 3rd he keeps saying he wants X theme, the problem is that X changes from week to week!

Should I wait to do the planning until way closer to his birthday (like a month before) and hope he chooses one and sticks with it or should I pick one from the 4-5 he keeps mentioning and then get him excited about the one I picked?

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers Anniversary

Re: Picking the theme

• Options
    Ms5586Ms5586 member
    This far out, I'd narrow it down to 2 - "Do you want trucks or dinosaurs at your party?" and find some great ideas for both that you can pull off.  Then, maybe a month before, have him decide, and remind him when he mentions a different idea. "Well, Elmo is cool!  But remember how we're going to have dinosaurs at your party?  You can stomp like a dinosaur!" or something like that.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imageMs5586:
    This far out, I'd narrow it down to 2 - "Do you want trucks or dinosaurs at your party?" and find some great ideas for both that you can pull off.  Then, maybe a month before, have him decide, and remind him when he mentions a different idea. "Well, Elmo is cool!  But remember how we're going to have dinosaurs at your party?  You can stomp like a dinosaur!" or something like that.

This. 

BabyFetus Ticker; Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I picked 1st party theme, 2nd I went with what he was into, 3rd I gave him a few choices (he stuck with it too).  I have already asked him what he wanted for his 4th and he has picked, so far very excited about it.  He isn't one to change his mind though.

1st Green Eggs & Ham, 2nd Little Einstein, 3rd Cowboy, 4th Art Party

• Options
    Mine is too young to pick but nephew picked his party when he turned 3.  I like the idea of giving 2 choices.  
  • Options
    I picked the 1st and 2nd and I'll probably offer choices for the 3rd.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

DD's birthday is in July and the temps will be 110.  So I figure we are going to reinvent the pool party theme each year: "Splish Splash" pool part for first, then choose from under the sea, luau, beach theme, boat theme, shark theme, and so on and so forth.

Actually I thought I'd get to choose DD's bday theme for at least the first few years.  The control freak in me is disappointed!

• Options
    So far I haven't given them a choice.  With the exception of the first birthday I selected themes based on current interests.  DD's 2nd birthday was a farm theme, her 3rd was Dora the Explorer, and this year we're doing a joint with her and DS so we're doing Knights and Princesses.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

Three seems to the age where they've developed opinions. DD1 wanted a Pirate party about 6 months prior to her actual b-day. DD2 was a no brainer. She is obsessed with Rapunzel so Tangled naturally was her theme. I expect the same to be true once DD3 turns 3. I do try to persuade them a bit, suggesting ideas I'd like to plan. 

Currently I'm working on DD2 for next January. I'd love to do a tea party since she's my girlie girl. I'm loving the ALice in Wonderland idea! 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Blogging about boobs, babies, bed lust & everything in between since 2007.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"