School-Aged Children

Etiquette question

We have been invited to a a backyard cookout to celebrate DS's best friend's first communion.  Guests are only expected to attend the cookout, not church.  It's casual.

Normally for a backyard cookout, I'd assume I'm bringing a dish.  For a baptism/first communion/confirmation celebration, my assumption is that the parents are throwing the bash to celebrate and honor the milestone in their child's religious life, and that I'm bringing a gift for the child, but not helping by bringing food.

2 questions:

--should I bring a dish?  If so, any ideas?  The child is allergic to nuts and eggs.

--I don't feel comfortable buying the child a religious gift, because we're not that close to the family. I still want to get him something to celebrate his milestone day.  We've known him since he and my son were 4, and we like this kid and his family a lot.  He's very smart and loves to read.  He has a Kindle and an I-pod touch.  Is an Amazon gift card okay in this situation?

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade

Re: Etiquette question

• In my area money gifts are most common so GC would be great too and shows you know him. It is hard to do religious gift anyway because I kid can only use so many Bibles, rosary beads, crosses, etc.

And I would not bring food. If you wanted to I would ask if you can do anything to help.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Not my religion but when my family has events I would not expect guests to bring anything food wise.  If you would like to bring something, I would just email the parents and extend the offer.  Worst case is they will so no.  I think a gift card is totally fine as a gift.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Loading the player...
  • IMO, don't bring a dish to pass...  Typically it's the parents who take care of the food for an event such as this. 

As for the gift, cash or a gift card to someplace the kiddo likes going to is the way to go unless you know something specific that the child is into...  While religious gifts are great, there's a magic line that crosses into far too many. 

ETA: Today I went shopping for something for DD's First Communion.  I have to say I was about to cry while in the store because I actually WANTED to get her something religious (something nice and special from Mom/Dad), but my MIL has bought so many religious things for her that it's in the excessive level that I couldn't bring myself to purchase Anything for her!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I agree don't bring a dish and money is usually what we give but the gift card is a nice personal touch
  • I wouldn't bring a dish.

• Can you just ask 'hey, what should I bring?'

and you can always gift an age appropriate book 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"