Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

Checked carseat for 20 month old?

In my frantic state to purchase airline tickets for the weekend, I figured keeping our 20 month old on our lap would be no big deal. Now that I reading more about lap children and checking car seats, I'm starting to worry I made a HUGE mistake. At this point, the price of the plane ticket is ridiculously expensive, but I'm not sure if I'm over thinking the fact that this car seat may more than likely get damaged.

Can anyone provide their experience with traveling? Checking a carseat?

I've read that some airlines will try to fit us next to an open seat if I bring the carseat to the gate, but we are flying Spirit and I'm sure they aren't going to go out of their way.

TTC#1 Since 9.09
Unexplained IF
IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP!! EDD: 8/8/11
DS#1 Born 8/11/11
TTC#2
BFP #2 3/1/12 Ended in M/C on 3/17/12 @ 7w
11/12 IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP, EDD: 8/18/13, Beta#1 (45), Beta #2 (265) Beta #3 (2545)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
S/PAIF/PAL ALWAYS WELCOME!!

Re: Checked carseat for 20 month old?

• Options
    imageKimbus22:

I personally would not travel with my 20 month old without getting him his own seat and bringing the carseat on the plane.

1.  I wouldn't want him to get hurt in the event of turbulence or a problem.  Lap kids just become projectiles in those situations.

2.  I would never feel comfortable using a carseat I had checked with an airline.  You have absolutely no idea how it was cared for and handled.  I believe once checked, they are considered to be equivalent to having been in an accident and should be replaced. Even if they look fine, they can still have unseen damage that would cause them to malfunction in an accident.

I agree with this. Also, with the projectile thing, that could really hurt someone else. If you still plan to fly with your LO on your lap, check your carseat in it's original box (it was made to protect your seat) or at the very least gate check it. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

Based on everything we read, we decided to buy a seat for our 20 month old and bring the car seat on the plane.

This did NOT work out for us.  We were on a big United plane and took our Britax Boulevard.  The car seat was way too big for the seat....DD had absolutely no room for her legs.  We had to squish her into the car seat and she was not happy. 

We ended up checking the car seat for the ride home.  I understand the worries about a damaged car seat, but there was no way were taking that thing back on the plane.  We expected the car seat and it seems to be just fine.  I held DD on my lap for takeoff and landing.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

I would do everything in my power to get a seat and take the car sea on the plane.  I would not trust that the carseat wasn't damaged after seeing this video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lzmJr1a-BHU

A car seat bag will only protect the fabric from getting dirty/torn but like PPs have mentioned, you may not be able to see internal damage caused by being thrown onto a tarmac just like you may not see damage done in a car accident.  If the car seat has the FAA sticker on it then it is approved and will fit in the airplane seat most likely (there will always be exceptions I'm sure).  Raise the arm rest and ask for a seat belt extender if you're having trouble with the install.   You can install the seat rear facing which will keep them from kicking the seatin front of them but will prevent that person from reclining their seat.  

• Options

I'm going to completely disagree w/some on here.  I wouldn't purchase a seat and definitely not take the car seat on the plane.  You can check the car seat for free w/your luggage, just make sure you get a bag for the car seat so it doesn't get all dirty.  Unless you get a very expensive car seat bag you're not protecting it too much but what can you do. 

I've traveled many times with our kids on our laps.  It works fine. Yes in extreme turbulence it could be dangerous, but that is unlikely, also sorry to say but if the plane is going down you're not saving your LO by having them in their own seat. 

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.  

• Options

I checked a carrier seat when DS was 7 months with no issue, but that's just my experience.  If you want to see if they'd let you use an empty seat, you can let them know that at the gate and opt to get on last so they know if there's an empty seat for you.  If not, you can probably make it work with a 20 month old as a lap infant.  Just know they will probably want to walk the aisles a bit and may not be the happiest baby in the world.

July '15 siggy challenge: Thanksgiving fails
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    imageDaisypath Anniversary tickers
    PitaPata Cat tickersPitaPata Cat tickers
  • Options
    Thank you for the input!
    TTC#1 Since 9.09
    Unexplained IF
    IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP!! EDD: 8/8/11
    DS#1 Born 8/11/11
    TTC#2
    BFP #2 3/1/12 Ended in M/C on 3/17/12 @ 7w
    11/12 IUI#1 + Clomid + Trigger= BFP, EDD: 8/18/13, Beta#1 (45), Beta #2 (265) Beta #3 (2545)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    S/PAIF/PAL ALWAYS WELCOME!!
  • Options

I bought our own padded car seat bag and check it when we fly. I also pack an extra package of diapers with it and a few baby blankets for a little extra cushion. We have absolutely never had a problem with it.

this is the bag we got, I will get another one for LO # 2

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009RNXNA/ref=wms_ohs_product?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickersLilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Options
    ras26ras26 member
    imagemexicolombiana:

I'm going to completely disagree w/some on here.  I wouldn't purchase a seat and definitely not take the car seat on the plane.  You can check the car seat for free w/your luggage, just make sure you get a bag for the car seat so it doesn't get all dirty.  Unless you get a very expensive car seat bag you're not protecting it too much but what can you do. 

I've traveled many times with our kids on our laps.  It works fine. Yes in extreme turbulence it could be dangerous, but that is unlikely, also sorry to say but if the plane is going down you're not saving your LO by having them in their own seat. 

That is my story and I'm sticking to it.  

I'm in this camp too.  We do fly with our lighter/cheaper "backup" seat so if there is damage, it's not to her normal (more expensive) carseat.  We've had DD in our lap starting at 4 months and most recently at 16 months, and her final trip before she turns 2 will be the weekend before her birthday. 

IMG_2304IMG_3206
    Baby Girl #2 is on her way!
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    I would gate check it that way if they have a seat for your LO then you have it with you. Also the luggage in 'gate check' isn't handle as rough and when you check it with all the other luggage. 
  • Options
    imagetheresat858:

imagepreggersin2011:
    I would gate check it that way if they have a seat for your LO then you have it with you. Also the luggage in 'gate check' isn't handle as rough and when you check it with all the other luggage. 

This is what we are doing with our carseat on Saturday.

But to PP who talk about the 'safety' of LO being in a carseat on the plane.... do you really want to listen to my child scream for the entire flight? 'cause that's what happens in the car; I'm pretty sure it'd be the same on the plane. She'll be much happier as a lap child.  

You only need to have them in the seat during take off, landing, and when the pilot turns on the fasten seatbelt light. 

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"