2nd Trimester
Options

s/o delivery room

If it is just dh in the room with you, where are the other people? Waiting room? Home?   

I plan on everyone being home until we give the ok to come. With-- several hours after baby is born and I am back in the room and out or recovery.

WIth ds #1 I was iduced the night before (boring- just cervidal at night) so everyone was home. Had a C section the next day and people came WAY to soon in my opinion. The room was filled with people befroe I even got to hold ds for the first time. I think I saw my inlaws before realy seeing ds (other than a quick kiss before the took him out of the OR

WIth ds #2 we just called everyone but I made sure to tel dh to tell people not to come until they here fromus again. 

I feel bad not having people there, but it is so different with a c/s because you wait 1-2 hours before you are with baby again. 

Re: s/o delivery room

• Options

Just don't call them until you deliver and have the bonding time you want and need.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I will be a scheduled c/s again this time. I guess I wondered if I looked bad not inviting people to wait in the waiting room. seems boring to them!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I wont be calling anyone until after. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    because it didn't fucking snow enough for me to build my own
  • Options
    I get what you are saying.  I had an emergency C and my SIL and MIL were in my recovery room almost before I got wheeled in!  I thought it was a little soon too because I hadn't seen my baby except for like 30 seconds and then he was in the NICU so everyone saw him before I did!  Sucked.  This time - hopefully I make it to my scheduled C - I hope to be in my room settling in before everyone freaks out and heads over to the hospital.   I would like more space this time.
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    I have been having the same conversation with my husband. If it were up to me I wouldn't call anyone till we got home from the hospital, if that. You are having YOUR baby don't feel bad at all for making them wait. Its your turn now, have the clear time to remember it and enjoy it without any distractions, questions, or frustrations from others. I would hate to think I had to "entertain" all those folks after just going through all that and only waiting and wanting to hug, hold, kiss, and love the one thing Iv been making for the past 9 months. I understand feeling bad but you will enjoy them so much more when they arrive when you are ready for them to.
    Pregnancy Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    My parents will probably want to be in the waiting room. That being said, Mh and I want to make sure to take some time after baby comes out for just us and baby to bond before family rushes in. 
    imageimage
    Anniversary

• Options
    I had a csection with DS and I am having one again. People were in the waiting room until I delivered then they all came in once I am moved to my room. They came into recovery 1 or 2 at a time before that. I couldn't hold DS the whole first day anyways so might as well let them. Plan on the same this time, but hopefully I can hold the baby earlier.
    Married 2006
    DS1 2010
    DS2 2013
    DD1 2016
  • Options
    This one is a little tough for us. All our immediate family except for my BIL live four or more hours away. So, I'm thinking about calling in a favor with BIL's wife and asking if she can entertain everyone until we call and are ready for them to come over. Might give my apartment keys to my parents and have everyone sit around at my house at wait. Probably neither of those things will happen though because my parents are hyperactive and have to be driving or exploring at all times. Most likely baby will be passed around a few times before I get to say "hello".
    Rachel (23) and Ben (25)
    Anniversary
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    Check out my blog.
    Follow Me on Pinterest
    BFP #3: 2/14/13 EDD:10/16/2013 (Please stick little one)
  • Options
    I was in labor for 27 hours in the hospital. I told everyone to wait until the baby was born or I was at least pushing, but my family decided to show up instead. They waited there all day long. I felt bad, but it was their bad decision. lol This time I'm going to try to keep it a secret. :P
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options
    At home.  All family is 2+ hours away.  With DS I called my mom and let her know I was in the hospital and sent a text to my sisters.  With this one I'll probably let them know when it's close to go time.  They can make their way down to visit at their leisure.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

This will be the first new baby for both our families (first grandchild, great-grandchild, niece/nephew on either side) so I will understand if people are anxious & want to be in the waiting room for the duration, but I'll leave it up to them. Fortunately, our family is all in the same area, & most of them actually live closer to the hospital than we do, so it'd be just as convenient for them to wait for things to progress until it's almost go-time & then come on over. 

It also depends on the timing - if my water breaks at 8 AM, I can't imagine our parents & siblings taking the whole day off from work just so they can pace around the hospital until the LO makes his/her appearance.

• Options
    imagebeachgirl1977:

If it is just dh in the room with you, where are the other people? Waiting room? Home?   

I plan on everyone being home until we give the ok to come. With-- several hours after baby is born and I am back in the room and out or recovery.

WIth ds #1 I was iduced the night before (boring- just cervidal at night) so everyone was home. Had a C section the next day and people came WAY to soon in my opinion. The room was filled with people befroe I even got to hold ds for the first time. I think I saw my inlaws before realy seeing ds (other than a quick kiss before the took him out of the OR

WIth ds #2 we just called everyone but I made sure to tel dh to tell people not to come until they here fromus again. 

I feel bad not having people there, but it is so different with a c/s because you wait 1-2 hours before you are with baby again. 

THis is what I am afraid of! DH and I have a family full of baby snatchers and as a FTM, I want my baby time in before. Some people gave us heat for saying we only want certain people in the delivery room. But I want my bonding time with my baby.

Me (32) DH (33)
    Surprise BFP 2-7-2013

• Options
    imagebeachgirl1977:

THis is what I am afraid of! DH and I have a family full of baby snatchers and as a FTM, I want my baby time in before. Some people gave us heat for saying we only want certain people in the delivery room. But I want my bonding time with my baby.

Me (32) DH (33)
    Surprise BFP 2-7-2013

• Options
    imagetopofthepeek:

THis is what I am afraid of! DH and I have a family full of baby snatchers and as a FTM, I want my baby time in before. 

I really hadn't thought of this before in the context of the delivery room. I guess I trust our families not to be *too* invasive, but I'm already having flashes of myself clutching the LO to my hospital-gown-covered chest & growling at anyone who gets too close. 

The idea that everyone wants to get up in a baby's grill right when he/she is born seems so silly considering how long "babyhood" is. But I guess ultimately it's a sign of love that everyone wants to gather around and share in the experience. 

• Options
    With DS1, MIL assumed that she would come during labor and wait in the waiting room.  I was not comfortable with people coming in like minutes after baby was born, so I asked that people not come to the hospital until after the baby was born.  He ended up being born at 6 in the morning and we got our first visitors (MIL of course!) at about noon.  We will do it this way next time too.  Besides who wants to sit around in a yucky waiting room?  Wouldn't everyone want to just wait in the comfort of their home?? 
  • Options
    We live quite close to my parents, and I'll let them know when I'm in labor, but I will tell them to stay at home. I won't allow them in the room anyway for at least a couple of hours after the birth, so it's pointless for them to hang out in the waiting room. 

12/19/2012 BFP! 
    EDD 08/26/2013 
    Our little girl arrived 8/22/2013!

• Options
    My mom and IL's really want to be in the waiting room.  We will be allowing it but setting a few expectations.  One being his mom can't get mad if I ask for my mom to come back during labor-though she would be asked to leave when pushing actually begins. Two being that they are not coming into the room right after the baby is born.  DH and I will take our time with our new kiddo and when we're ready we'll let them know they can come back.  
  • Options

I couldn't care less what people thought, or if it 'looks bad' to have people wait. We live a great distance from our family, but if we lived closer we wouldnt even make the phone calls until we were ready for visitors. 

My mom will be here with my before my EDD and staying after, so she will be there when I go into labor - however the delivery room is strictly me and DH and we are going to hold our daughter before anyone else does. My mom knows this and didnt even think anything different when I told her. She said it's all about me and DH and she's just there for the support if/when needed.  

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Do not feel bad.  This is your birth experience and you should have it just the way you want it (well, at least all the parts you can control!).  We don't call anyone until after the baby is born and we are ready for visitors.  Only my parents know because they are watching are kids and well, frankly, we can trust them not to be pushy and overbearing, unlike other family members.  I know we ruffled some feathers with our decision, but they can get over it.  We just had our anatomy scan yesterday and several friends and family knew what time our appt. was.  I even warned people ahead of time not to expect any news from us until later in the evening.  You would not believe the number of texts I received along the lines of, "So?  What's the verdict?  Let me know!" etc.  I know people mean well, but it was so much pressure that I said to myself that THIS is exactly the reason we don't call anyone when I'm in labor.  So much less pressure to please the masses!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

With DD, my DH and mom were in the delivery room with me and my dad was just outside the door.  My two SILs were in the waiting room and came in as soon as my parents swapped their visitor passes with them. I would do it again exactly the same.  My mom was great to have in the delivery room because she was focusing on me while DH could focus on baby. Plus, he was scared shiitless, lol. 

Married 12/8/07 | Sleeve Gastrectomy 10/19/09
    BFP#1 DD born 3/9/11 | BFP#4 DD born 9/20/13
    BFP#2 6/21/12, M/C at 5w2d | BFP#3 11/27/12, M/C at 6w6d
  • Options

image406chandler:
    I have been having the same conversation with my husband. If it were up to me I wouldn't call anyone till we got home from the hospital, if that. You are having YOUR baby don't feel bad at all for making them wait. Its your turn now, have the clear time to remember it and enjoy it without any distractions, questions, or frustrations from others. I would hate to think I had to "entertain" all those folks after just going through all that and only waiting and wanting to hug, hold, kiss, and love the one thing Iv been making for the past 9 months. I understand feeling bad but you will enjoy them so much more when they arrive when you are ready for them to.

110% THIS!

• Options
    I have already decided 100% that it is just DH and the medical staff in the delivery room.  If it were totally up to me, I would not contact family until after the baby is born.  But I am not sure that will fly with either side of the family.  My parents live 2 1/2 hours away and my mom can be alittle invasive.  DH family has been at the hospital when his brother's wife was having her baby.  If I do have to have a CS I definately do not want people holding me baby etc before me.  We have always waited a day to visit people in the hospital so they could have time to bond with their babies but I know not everyone is like that. 
    <Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • Options

With my first it was just dad and I in the delivery room, but there was no keeping FIL away for long.  I could hear him outside trying to get in while baby was being born, and they didn't hold him back for long.  Needless to say, he was excited about his granddaughter.  My mom was so mad that i didn't want her in the delivery room that she wasn't even there.  We've never been close though, and I feel that would be different if we were.  My doctor, who is a long-time family friend, called her after he delivered Riley Ann. 

This time around it will just be us again, but I know all the family will be there waiting no matter what we tell them.  They are all great and they all LOVE babies and I know that will be praying for me and the LO, so yes, it may seem overwelming, but am I going to tell mine and LO's support system for life not to be there for the prize after they've supported me through the whole pregnancy.  I don't think so. 

Image and video hosting by TinyPicimageimageimage
  • Options
    When I look back on DS's delivery I regret having so many people in the hospital waiting. They weren't allowed upstairs until after I had been wheeled into the room we were staying in after the csection. But DH kept leaving to go talk to them because I had my Mom and Grandma with me and in the end that pissed me off and he got an earful. I had DS at 12:40am so we weren't in the room until 3am and there was 9 people waiting to see this baby when all I wanted to do was breast feed and sleep. It was bs. On one hand I am so blessed to have a slew of fam that love him so much but on the other hand it was too much. So this time we decided that we wont have anyone at the hospital until I am 100% ready. Possibly the next day. A lot of things will be different this time around. You learn a lot the first time.

• Options

With Li, my parents were at the hospital the whole time.  They were in my rooom for part of the time, but when I told them to leave, they did.  My MIL was calling DH every 5 minutes, so he finally picked up and he said to her to either come to the hospital and sit in the waiting room or he would call her when the baby had arrived and they could come down.  They came and sat in the waiting room. 

This time, my parents will be taking care of Li while I'm in the hospital, so they will probably go back and forth between hospital and home (they live 5 minutes away).

If I were in the hospital, for any reason, and didn't tell my parents, they would be extremely upset. 

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickersPitaPata Cat tickers

• Options
    I had people while I was still in the delivery room. Nbd IMO. I welcomed pretty much anyone who wanted to come at anytime. But that's just me. There is no righ or wrong imo. Everyone is different and will want different things.

Oh and I had my mom and DH for ld.
  • Options

If I have a c/s... no one is allowed to see and hold baby until DH and I get to bond. My Mom will be there taking some pictures as they get cleaned up... and of us meeting the babies. but she knows that if anyone holds the twins before DH and I, it won't end well.

There is nothing wrong with you doing things your way, if you don't want people there... make it a point that everyone knows this.
    Eat your food people. You are pregnant, not made of glass. ~PrimRoseMama
    The Benes Boys were born 9/3/13! woooo
    imageimage
  • Options
    mrsf123mrsf123 member

With DD1, our plan was not to call anyone until after she was born.  However, I went into labor two weeks early and my parents were visiting.  So they were at home with us while I labored at home, taking care of all the things we had not done yet. My parents called my MIL, they went out to dinner together near the hospital, hoping the baby would be born in the evening.  We called them about an hour or so after she was born.  They briefly popped in.

With this one, we'll need someone to watch DD1.  My cousins live around the corner, so we will probably send DD1 to their house.  Other than that, our plan again will be to call people after the baby is born.  It's a personal experience and I personally think it's best for the mom-to-be to be most comfortable.  I don't think anyone else has any business being anywhere close by at all. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

With our first I wanted to wait until after the baby was born to tell anyone - I figured this was the only time we could get away with it since it the future we would need someone to watch older children.  This upset our families a little, but I wanted this to be a special time about me & my husband becoming parents without anyone thinking, praying, or worrying about us.  As the oldest of 5 I always thought waiting even at home was incredibly boring, plus I didn't want to have to go back and be like just kidding its false labor (especially incase my out of town inlaws wanted to drive out day of...).  So naturally, I ended up being an induced, followed by a c-section, and everyone knew. Luckily, they waited for us to call them and invite them to the hospital.

This time I'll probably go with a schedule c-section.  Assuming its in the morning, I hope they show up in the afternoon, but I'm excited for my son to meet his little brother.  I think in general we'll be able to plan visit better, and the c-section is likely to schedule right before labor day weekend, which gives out of town family extra time.

• Options
    I totally plan on it only being SO in te delivery room... and I honestly dont even want visitors while we are in the hospital, maybe not even for a few days after we go home... I want my bonding time with SO and our baby before we are bombarded by vistors. I dont care who gets offended. It is my baby and people can deal.

MMC 01/26/12 

MC 12/25/12, D&C 01/05/13

BFP 03/05/13, EDD 11/12/13. HB 175 @ 9w2d. Its a Girl!

<3Madeline Lorraine H. <3 Born 11/12/13 @9:10pm, 7lb6oz

DX with EA/TEF Type C & Tracheomalaysia
    MC @ 13wks 01/15/15 

DX Septate Uterus - surgery recommended

BFP 3/18/16, EDD 11/13/16 It's a boy!
    <3 Clint Kiszonas H. <3 Born 11/21/16 @10:38pm, 9lb11oz

BFP 1/11/18, EDD 9/21/18 
  • Options
    palm513palm513 member

I had a c/s the first time and every one got to see the babies before me... something I liked and didn't like is the mother always gets to hold the baby first so they made everyone wait until I was out of recovery and had my time with the boys before they got to hold them. 

I am planning on a VBAC this time so if everything goes well my DH and mom will be in the room and everyone else will wait in the waiting room until I give the okay to come in and see the baby... and anyone has a problem with waiting until we are ready to let them in then they can just wait until the baby is home.  

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"