Pre-School and Daycare

WWYD teacher trouble

My DS goes to a preschool we like very much. He generally has positive things to say about all of his teachers. My DH usually does drop off and pick up. About two weeks ago I happened to pick up DS. When I arrived, one teacher had the children in circle time and the other Miss L had two children in the restroom. I could not see what was going on but could hear clearly. Miss L was speaking rudely to the children, basically reprimanding for not pulling up their pants. She didn't say anything out of line, it was the tone of voice I felt was uncalled for. I didn't say anything that day, but felt uncomfortable because i wouldn't want anyone talking to my child that way. I talked to DH about it and he mentioned hearing a rude tone from her previously. Today DH picked up DS and heard Miss L rudely punishing two girls for making a mess in the play house area. Again, nothing specifically out of line was said, just the tone and level of voice. We're not sure what to do. If we hear it again should we say something to Miss L right then? Should we bring up our concerns to Miss L even before another incident? Should we talk to the director? I just feel like our observations or subjective. I don't want her to get mad at us and take it out on DS.
Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: WWYD teacher trouble

• I wouldn't talk to her directly, you have no way of knowing if she takes it out on ds then
    I'd talk confidentially with the director and ask her to observe that teacher and have a chat about her tone, but to please not mention your name
    This is something a director should definitely deal with IMO
  • I would say something to the director about it. 

The director should want to hear feedback about her employees. And there could be other issues she has been in trouble over.

When DD was in daycare, she came home repeating some rude behaviors that were very adult like. I spoke to the director about it  and she started spending more time in that room and then addressed the teachers of the room as a whole. She then followed up with me. I was happy with the way she handled it.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you, I really appreciate the feedback.
  • The same thing happened at DS's old daycare.  I just didn't like that his one teacher wasn't warm with the kids at all and was often very brusque with them, using a tone I didn't like.  I actually liked her on a personal level, but didn't find her appropriate for a daycare teacher.  After DS came home one day and said "shut up" and I asked who said that, and he said the teacher, I talked to the director.  It didn't go well (she defended the teacher and denied any wrongdoing and then suggested that DS is just "coming into his own" and becoming more aggressive) so we switched him to a different center after that.

If the director had handled it differently, I don't think we would have switched.  I hope your situation works out, but I definitely think you should start with talking to the director.   

• First, I would be upset, but I would take a few things into consideration when looking at how to proceed. Do you know how long the teacher has worked for the program? Like the PP said a long standing teacher you may find some resistance from the director. Also how well do you know the other teacher. Do you ever have an alone moment you could mention something and see how she would like you to proceed? How long as your child been at the center is this something that is an isolated incident (teacher having an off week) still not an excuse, but possible something else going on.

My DD was in a class with a teacher that spoke negatively. I really wish I would have gone with my gut and pulled the plug much sooner.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageEmilia0101:
    First, I would be upset, but I would take a few things into consideration when looking at how to proceed. Do you know how long the teacher has worked for the program? Like the PP said a long standing teacher you may find some resistance from the director. Also how well do you know the other teacher. Do you ever have an alone moment you could mention something and see how she would like you to proceed? How long as your child been at the center is this something that is an isolated incident teacher having an off week still not an excuse, but possible something else going on.My DD was in a class with a teacher that spoke negatively. I really wish I would have gone with my gut and pulled the plug much sooner.

I do believe she's been there a long time since she seems to run the show I'm the afternoon. I thought about taking to the other teacher just to see her perspective. The reasons we feel like something needs to be said is it's been three separate occasions now noticed by not only me but now DH as well. Also, my son has started this new thing when we correct a behavior, even if he's not getting in trouble, he wants to run and hide acting scared. That makes me sad and i wonder if it's related. Thanks for the input.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"