Parenting after a Loss
Options

***Daylights***

I was just catching up with the last few days worth of posts and I saw your one about your DD finally latching Yey! I don't have much experience with pumping (I loath my pump and avoid it if possible) but when my DD was born she was only 5lbs 12oz and didn't have much fat in her cheeks so after sucking for a few seconds she would either fall asleep or start crying. When I was in the hospital they gave me an SNS (supplemental nursing system) which is a little tube that attaches to a bottle and you can sneak the tube into their mouth with your nipple so that they are getting some formula or breast milk from the tube while still nursing to stimulate your supply. We just gave her a little bit of formula here and there at the time just enough to keep her interested and sucking until my milk supply came in, but perhaps you could use it to be able to give your DD her "bottle" on the boob so that she's still getting the same amount of food but she's spending more time on your breast to hopefully rebuild your supply. I know it was a major pain those 3 days we had to use it before my milk came in but it was well worth it because my DD became a great nurser once my milk came in. I'm not sure how it'd work with an older baby but it's worth a try. Sorry if you are already familiar with the SNS but I didn't see anyone mention one in the thread so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Here's one that looks similar to what they gave us at the hospital: https://www.amazon.com/Starter-Supplemental-Nursing-System-Bottle/dp/B001G87KYE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367210776&sr=8-1&keywords=sns

Re: ***Daylights***

• Options
    I'm sorry I didn't think to recommend it sooner, but I didn't know if it'd help with your latching problems. I am on the opposite end of the breast size spectrum so I'm a bit clueless on your particular problems. Shame on those LCs for not mentioning it, the SNS was the first thing that was recommended to us by the LC in our hospital when I had A, and a nurse from the nursery had us try using a syringe to sneak milk into the side of her mouth while she nursed but we found the SNS to work better. I'm sorry that breast feeding isn't working out for you but you can defiantly say that you gave it your all and no one could ask any more of you. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"