Dads & Dads-to-be

Helping DH...

I'm trying to help my DH see the benefit of buying a stroller/travel system.  He doesn't, right now, see the point of spending (or asking others to buy for our shower) the stroller/car seat/car seat base all at once. The stroller we registered for goes up to 50 lbs...so quite a long time for a piece of baby gear, which by then we may be on to #2.... 

Any dads out there with some insight on this? My mom helped me pick it out (she worked in daycare licensing for 35 years before retiring plus had two kids)...is that why he is shying away...because we didn't pick it out together?  

Re: Helping DH...

• I'm not sure why he doesn't want the stroller...just seems very hesitant about wanting to use the money from his parents on it or if we get gift cards.  He's not cheap but likes to do his research before buying something.

Our house is on the small side so maybe the space issue...we did get a car seat from his sister (they were foster parents and had to be prepared for any age of child) that we will use as our 'floater' car seat (in my truck, grandparents vehicles, etc.)....the car seat/base that goes to the stroller and travel system will be the one which we use everyday.

Am I excited about spending $350 on this no, but it will be used daily once the baby can go on walks (I'm due in August...plenty of nice days left in Sept. and October) and once I go back to work....

• Is this specific to a travel system, or just strollers in general?

Ask him if every time you go to the zoo, a museum, or any outing involving walking (but no shopping carts) if he wants to carry him the entire duration... especially when he/she gets over 20 lbs.  They will get tired and they WILL want to be carried.

A stroller is great because you can go out in the world and allow the baby to sleep soundly in a travel system... you don't have to worry about transferring from car to stroller because the seat comes with.

As a father of 2, I can tell you that a travel system is pretty great for the first year, would pretty much consider it a must buy.  Makes moving the baby so much easier, and a stroller will need to be purchased anyways at some point.  Once they aren't in the infant seat, it becomes a regular stroller (granted if you are spaced close together between #1 and #2, you may need to upgrade to a sit & stand or double stroller that handles the infant seat).  

It may be a bit more expensive, but wait for a Babies R Us coupon or sale and you can find a decent deal.

• Loading the player...
  • I think it is just this travel system...could be he's never been around an infant (other than his nephews/niece) and doesn't know what it is like to try and get them out of a carseat and all that, while still sleeping.  I know his sisters both had them and maybe they can help run him through the logic of it all...

I suggested using whatever gift cards towards it of told him some family members may go together and get it for the shower...I honestly just want my mom and dad to buy it and we can get the crib and mattress. Not sure if I should plant that bug in my mom's ear or not until I get him over his travel system phobia..... 

• (https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=18244776)

This is the travel system we registered for.  It's very easy to maneuver, it has the one pull folding feature, and the car seat is a one-click system.  No additional straps to attach.  I was pretty overwhelmed by all of the baby items in a store like Babie's R Us so he may be feeling the same.  The stroller and the crib were two of the things I felt we absolutely needed.

• $350 is on the higher end for travel systems... I want to say we got ours for $175 and it has held up well.
  • Thanks for the insight guys! We will do some more research and hopefully find one that makes him feel more comfortable....Much more helpful then the snarky people over on the Baby shower board! 
  • imagepolooo26:

imageColtsdad:
    $350 is on the higher end for travel systems... I want to say we got ours for $175 and it has held up well.

I've browsed them at the baby stores and they have a lot in the $500 range and some are even going for close to $1000. It's crazy.

Ours is Graco. It's good for the basic around town stuff. We got a Jeep one passed along to us when our son was 1. It's actually a lot nicer and our son seems to prefer it. We would have survived with just the Graco if we had to though.

No F'ing way would I buy a stroller $500 or above.  That's just crazy talk.  The travel system we registered for is $260 and I couldn't imagine spending more than that. 

• imagepolooo26:

Only way I would do it is if I wouldn't notice $1000 gone from my bank account and that's not my reality. The $1000 stroller is a social class thing. When we go to the rich part of the city they are pretty common.

That stroller better have a keg tapper built in for that kind of money.  

• imagepolooo26:
    imagefutant462:
    imagepolooo26:

Only way I would do it is if I wouldn't notice $1000 gone from my bank account and that's not my reality. The $1000 stroller is a social class thing. When we go to the rich part of the city they are pretty common.

That stroller better have a keg tapper built in for that kind of money.  

I'm sold.

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=12882693

F THAT. 

• Maybe this is something your dh would want to be in charge of researching and choosing?  I'd ask him! I would let him know my must-have list for the features, e.g. easy to fold, not pink, etc, and them let him decide the rest. You never know, he might come home with a quinny ;)

BTW, never would I want a travel system. Yes, it gets the job done but there are so many other options out there that it makes sense to really explore what will suit your lifestyle best. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"