Pre-School and Daycare

need advice

i have a 2 year old and i need help with the potty training part does anybody have and ideas i can try... please

Re: need advice

• I say, don't bother trying until you are sure they are ready. For my DD, she would tell me when she was going in her diaper, go in another room, even occasionally go on the potty. But she wasn't fully ready till a few weeks ago. My "aha moment" was when she would show off in front of grandparents and use the potty. umm if you can do that for them, you can do that for us! Knowing my DD, and after a couple unsuccessful attempts at potty training in the past, I decided to go the diaper fairy route. The DF brought her a couple new small toys, in exchange for DD's diapers... So we basically went cold turkey except for nighttime. She had 4 accidents in a week and has been dry ever since.

ETA: We also used the Huggies pullup app on my phone, so every time she went she would get a gold star. Or you could do a sticker chart with an incentive.. When I tried with her months ago I also tried treats.. One MM for pee, two for poop
    DD ~ 8/30/09 DS ~ 10/13/13
  • wait until they are closer to 3 and/or showing signs of being ready.

buy a little potty and set up somewhere nearby - let him/her explore it/play with it, talk about when you go to the potty, let them come in with you, talk about what you're doing, let them flush, etc. encourage them to sit on the potty if they want. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • imageKathrynMD:
    wait until they are closer to 3 and/or showing signs of being ready.
    buy a little potty and set up somewhere nearby let him/her explore it/play with it, talk about when you go to the potty, let them come in with you, talk about what you're doing, let them flush, etc. encourage them to sit on the potty if they want.nbsp;

This 1000 percent! If you push it it takes way longer. I waited until DD was asking to wear underwear. We did it in a weekend, cause she was ready!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • So I guess I'm the crazy lone ranger here but I think you can totally PT a 2 year old. My daughter was fully potty trained by her 2nd birthday. I followed the three day potty training guide. You can google it. GL, it can totally be done!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagelauren&matt:
    So I guess I'm the crazy lone ranger here but I think you can totally PT a 2 year old. My daughter was fully potty trained by her 2nd birthday. I followed the three day potty training guide. You can google it. GL, it can totally be done!

My ds was PT at 2.  But the difference was I didn't have to ask how to do it because he was ready and he pretty much trained himself.  My dd is the same age he was and isn't quite there.  Pushing it, IMO, is a parent wanting to be done with dipes more than the child being ready.

ETA: Not saying the OP or you were pushing.  I meant worrying about it, like some parents sometimes feel when their 2 year old isn't trained yet.

• image-auntie-:

DS's pedi said you can start training at 3 and it'll take a year, or you can start at 3 and it'll take all day.

If you wait until they are physically and emotionally ready, it is pretty easy. I bladder trained DS one morning when he was 3- seriously we were done before noon. Bowel training took a bit longer (about 5 days) and happened a few months later.

This doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking one of those 3s (maybe the first one) should be a 2. Anyway, I disagree. DD1 potty trained at 22 months (so less than 2) and it took 3.5 days. Not anywhere close to a year. I honestly can't imagine changing a diaper on a 3 year old. I think as long as your child can communicate when they need to go, and that doesn't even have to be with words, they're ready.

My advice is to be consistent. Once you start training don't go back to diapers. Don't use pull-ups - they're too diaper like and kids can't feel when they're wet. Make a big huge deal out of every success, even if only a drop of pee hits the toilet. Don't ever punish for accidents, but do act disappointed. And be patient.   

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageLeap08:
    image-auntie-:

DS's pedi said you can start training at 3 and it'll take a year, or you can start at 3 and it'll take all day.

If you wait until they are physically and emotionally ready, it is pretty easy. I bladder trained DS one morning when he was 3- seriously we were done before noon. Bowel training took a bit longer (about 5 days) and happened a few months later.

This doesn't make any sense. I'm thinking one of those 3s (maybe the first one) should be a 2. Anyway, I disagree. DD1 potty trained at 22 months (so less than 2) and it took 3.5 days. Not anywhere close to a year. I honestly can't imagine changing a diaper on a 3 year old. I think as long as your child can communicate when they need to go, and that doesn't even have to be with words, they're ready.

My advice is to be consistent. Once you start training don't go back to diapers. Don't use pull-ups - they're too diaper like and kids can't feel when they're wet. Make a big huge deal out of every success, even if only a drop of pee hits the toilet. Don't ever punish for accidents, but do act disappointed. And be patient.   

Sure, but each child is different (you know, what we say about every topic..lol), so just because your oldest trained at 22 months doens't mean that even your next one will.  My ds trained on his own at 2 1/2, but my dd is not quite there yet at the same age now.  I'm not stressed about it and won't be bothered to change a dipe at 3.  It's not my time-table I'm working with, but hers.

• imageLeap08:
    image-auntie-:

This could be true in many cases, but not every two-year-old can communicate when they have to go because they don't know it's going to happen until it's already happening. Not every kid can read their body like that at two, much less have the control to hold it for even a second to try to reach the potty. 

• We tried two times that ended in lots of tears and frustration. Once at 2.5 and once just before 3.  I tossed in the towel and figured I'd wait until summer rolled around and we'd just deal with it then (which would would have put dd at 3y 4mos), 3 days after she turned 3 she tells me "I'm done wearing diapers, I'll go on the potty" and that was that.  She had one accident about a week in and that has been it for major accidents, there is the occasional drip that escapes here and there but that's all.

It took her about a month to get confident enough to poop on the potty (and there were some rewards involved) and now that's done as well.

I am all for waiting until you know they are truly ready!

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • I waited until DD started telling me that she had to go potty while her diaper was still dry.

For DD1, that was 2y4m. DD2 had just turned 2.

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • I think it is a huge range of answers. I really find and this isn't intended to offend anyone, but many parents who push PT at a younger age will claim to have a PT child when in reality the only person who is truly trained is the parent taking the child to the potty every 30 minutes. Now you have exceptions to the rule and kids to will train early on their own, but I don't think they are the norm.

When my DD was 2.5 I swear it felt like everyone was PT but her. We tried the 3 day method and it was horrible. I was crying, she was crying and it ended on day 2. Fast forward to 2yr10m we tried again and she fully trained pee/poop within about 3 days.

All that rambling amounts to wait tell both of you are ready :)

• imageEmilia0101:

I think it is a huge range of answers. I really find and this isn't intended to offend anyone, but many parents who push PT at a younger age will claim to have a PT child when in reality the only person who is truly trained is the parent taking the child to the potty every 30 minutes. Now you have exceptions to the rule and kids to will train early on their own, but I don't think they are the norm.

When my DD was 2.5 I swear it felt like everyone was PT but her. We tried the 3 day method and it was horrible. I was crying, she was crying and it ended on day 2. Fast forward to 2yr10m we tried again and she fully trained pee/poop within about 3 days.

All that rambling amounts to wait tell both of you are ready :)

Exactly.  Every child is different and I agree with you about a lot of trained kids aren't the ones trained.  ;)

To me, it's sort of like if you had a great sleeper that STTN at 6 months, it sort of colors your world about how all babies sleep.  Poop and sleep are 2 things yo can't force a child to do.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"