January 2011 Moms

XP: DS2's first ambulance ride

This will probably be long. (ETA: added short version)Short version: DS2 had surgery 4/5 to reconstruct his urethra. The wound opened and was infected so we got a round of antibiotic and were told to put Neosporin on the area for each diaper change. That was yesterday. put him on the changing pad and opened his diaper. Full of blood. All down his leg, his onesies, pants and the diaper was completely soaked from the belly to his back. Then he stopped crying. He turned white/gray. His lips turned blue. He went limp and eyes started to roll. I screamed to my MIL we needed to call 911. The ambulance showed up, I ran in as fast as I could. They checked the area, he was no longer bleeding. They gave him oxygen.This is a small community hospital and they said since Timmy was alert and no longer bleeding we could leave. I spoke to our pediatric urologist who said it was post operative bleeding and I could bring him by tomorrow but would be fine waiting the 2 weeks until my next appointment. I will be going to him tomorrow.Long version: DS2 had surgery 4/5 to reconstruct his urethra (that's the short version). I posted in the WTF Wednesday about it. The site didn't look good so we went back to the dr. a week sooner than planned. The wound opened and was infected so we got a round of antibiotic and were told to put Neosporin on the area for each diaper change. That was yesterday.Today, I took the kids to the park. We got home late and DH had school so it was a mad rush to get them both fed, bathed and in bed by myself. Timmy was tired so he started kind of crying in his high chair so I fed him a few more spoonfuls and was like, ok time to just go to bed. My MIL showed up and was like I'm here to help. I said great, you take DS1 (who was strapped in his booster eating dinner) and I took Timmy upstairs to wash up and put on pj's. I decided to scratch the bath since he was still crying. He's a happy baby and doesn't usually cry.put him on the changing pad and opened his diaper. Full of blood. All down his leg, his onesies, pants and the diaper was completely soaked from the belly to his back. Then he stopped crying. He turned white/gray. His lips turned blue. He went limp and eyes started to roll. I screamed to my MIL we needed to call 911. She held him, I called 911, the dr., my mom. I screamed in the middle of the cul de sac for my neighbor and 2 houses of women came out (their windows were open). They got my MIL blankets, told us to hold his feet above his heart, got my bag and purse. I gave them DH's ph# to keep calling him since he had a test and I knew he wouldn't answer the phone. The ambulance showed up, I ran in as fast as I could. They checked the area, he was no longer bleeding. They gave him oxygen. My MIL followed in her car, my neighbors kept my DS1 and off to the hospital we went.This is a small community hospital and they said since Timmy was alert and no longer bleeding we could leave. I spoke to our pediatric urologist who said it was post operative bleeding and I could bring him by tomorrow but would be fine waiting the 2 weeks until my next appointment. I will be going to him tomorrow.All is well as of now. My DH got the call as soon as his test was over and rushed to the hospital (the whole while thinking the worst). By the time he got there, Timmy was his happy cheerful self (even past his bedtime). The scare of my life. And it's so hard having 2 kids - I had to just leave the bigger one with whoever. I never even said bye to the poor guy. But he was happy once his favorite Nana got there and was none the wiser.Thanks for reading. This was therapeutic to type out even if it was too long for you all to read. It made me feel a little better tonight. 

Re: XP: DS2's first ambulance ride

• That is so scary sounding MrsLynnyD.  It sounds like you handled it well and that Timmy is doing well.  

My nephew was fighting cancer about 3 years ago and my SIL would have to many times drop her daughter at a neighbors in the middle of the night because Franklin spiked a fever and he had to go to the hospital immediately.  Their hospital was about an hour away - they did not trust the local one to treat him with his delicate condition.  My BIL travels for work so she was on her own a lot.  

I think the good thing is most neighbors/friends are more than willing to help in an emergency.  We think we are causing an imposition but really are not.  I would think nothing of stepping up to help a neighbor in your situation and would be glad I could do something simple to make things easier for them.

Hope Timmy continues to do well and that you have no more issues with his wound healing.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Wow, that's crazy scary! I'm glad he's ok now though!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh wow, so sorry mama, that is soooo scary. Sad poor guy. Hope he continues to do well!

• Holy moly, that gave me the chills!! Thank goodness he is ok, what a scary experience for you. *hugs*

• Scary!  at least you live in a neighborhood where people came running as well.  I hope he finishes recovering uneventfully!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
    Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"