Birth Stories

My Easter Surprise

On Saturday the 30th SO and I walked around a big baby convention and stood in lines for contests all morning. I had joked that it would put me into labor Surprise. I had some mild cramping and it wore me out but other than that I felt fine.

That night I noticed that my legs were more swollen than usual. At 11 I went to bed and just as I was dozing off I felt a strange pop that shook my whole stomach. I went to the bathroom and felt a gush after I had finished. "Omg, omg, omg.....Jason! Finish packing the hospital bag!" 15 minutes later the never-ending trickle began and I was 100% sure my water had broke. We were so excited! Jason was nervous and I couldn't get him to go over 55 on the highway.

My contractions started in the car. When I got to the hospital I was only dilated to a 1 and they started my IV but my ruptured membranes was confirmed. I got a room fairly quickly and my mother and MIL were there. I progressed to a 3 fast and then soon halted. We had a lot of trouble with both monitors. At one point the nurse had to sit on my bed and hold it in place to get a reading. They ended up doing both internal monitors.

In the early morning I was given Pitocin and then had an epidural. Contractions picked up and became strong. I did make it to 4 centimeters. At this point they were trying to get me to change positions and recline trying to get me to progress faster but the baby's heart rate would drop if I moved at all. At one point it got down to 50. I was stuck in one position through the whole labor. That was very uncomfortable for me. My legs, butt, and lower back were hurting and aching but I wasn't going to move.

Hours passed with no progression, my doctor started talking csection. I wanted to wait and see. Around noon I started to feel very sick, like I was getting the flu. I had a fever and they thought I was getting an infection so they gave me an antibiotic that started with an A?. My family arrived to visit me and unfortunately that's when I got really ill and started vomiting. They think I had a bad reaction to the antibiotic. My gammy was on my right, holding my bucket and wiping my face with a rag and my mom was on my left holding my hand. I felt so grateful for them. It kind of felt like I was crossing over to join them in motherhood and they were taking care of me and welcoming me.

The doctor came back to check me around 2:30PM. Only a 4 1/2. I had only progressed 1 1/2 centimeters in the previous 13 hours, had an infection, and my contractions had been spreading out and becoming weaker over the last few hours. He told me he didn't think I would be delivering vaginally and I agreed to a csection. That's when I got really emotional. I just kept looking at my family and crying knowing that we would meet our newest member so soon. I was getting ready to meet my child!

The csection was not at all what I expected. I was always told that the only thing you feel is a little pressure when the baby is pulled out and that's it. That could not be furthest from the truth for me. I won't go into detail but I know that I won't be able to do it again and would have to be completely put under.

We were team green. In the midst of the bright light in my eyes and the pain/pressure/pulling I hear an, "It's a boy!" and the doctor holds this squealing, goo-covered baby right above my head. Everything else leaves my mind and I start laughing and crying and look at Jason. He's crying too.

Torrin Alexander was healthy, 7lb 9oz. born exactly 2 weeks before his expected due date.

Torrin 

Me and Torrin

Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Re: My Easter Surprise

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"