Dads & Dads-to-be
Options

Hi and Question

Hi everyone,

First time dad here and new to the board.  We are 8 weeks along and already had our first ob appointment.  They bombarded us with information although they were very nice and took their time with us.  It was just so much information that it was hard to absorb it all.

Anyway... now we are stuck with having to decide if we want all of the optional genetic testing that is offered.  We are young (me 32 and wife 27) so low risk in their eyes, but it is still hard to decide.  My wife keeps asking me what I think and I honestly don't know.

they only thing i do know is that it is a comfort level decision, but I am struggling over deciding.  advice?

Re: Hi and Question

• Options

Got to admit that is a tough question, as I think the answer is very personal.

We did all the testing that was offered so long as it is non invasive. We just didn't like the idea of putting the baby at risk for purely informational sake. That bei

• Options

Welcome!  My wife and I decided to do the NT scan because it simply involved a couple blood tests and ultrasounds.  We knew from the beginning we were not going to schedule the one where they plunge the worlds biggest needle into her stomach

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Welcome, and congratulations on the pregnancy. As far as the testing goes, Whatever your wife is comfortable doing. 
  • Options

Welcome!

We did not do any of the additional testing, we just stuck with the ultrasounds.

It really comes down to how much you want to disturb the pregnancy, and if the news was bad, would you decide to terminate?

We were not go

• Options
    That is a very personal question.  Would you want to abort if something were wrong?  if the answer is yes then I would.  if the answer is no then I wouldn't.  there were so many posts on my BMB from women who did the tests and were so
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagemanditxg:
    That is a very personal question.  Would you want to abort if something were wrong?  if the answer is yes

• Options
    PrimePrime member
    As previous posters have said, it really hinges on what you would do with the information.  Our insurance covered the testing.  We chose to do the non-invasive blood draw and ultrasound.  We would not have terminated, but we decided that if

• Options

We just stuck to the basic ultrasounds and that was it.  Some of the other tests increase risk of miscarriage like an amniocentesis.

One of the big questions you have to ask yourself (and your wife too) is, if something came up on the test,

• Options
    Welcome aboard.

We decided against testing. We would not have terminated, and didn't want to be stressed out if something did come back positive.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"