Should I be worried?? — The Bump
11 Weeks Pregnant

Should I be worried??

Hello my name is Ashley, I'm a first time mom so this is all very new to me. I'll be 11 weeks on Wednesday, and I was just wondering if its normal to not hear the baby's heartbeat at this age? I went for my physical at the obgyn on Monday and she tried to listen for it but couldn't find anything. Should I be worried or not ?

Re: Should I be worried??

• I'm 11 weeks right now & my Dr. told me at 9 week apt that you usually can't hear it until around 10-13 with a dopplar. I had an ultrasound done though bc it was too early to hear it. I wouldn't worry! If they didn't worry, then I'm sure it's normal! I'm hoping my next apt in 2 weeks we'll be able to hear the heart beat! Good luck & don't stress!! :)
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Hi!  I think we have the same due date! I'm 11 weeks today too and also a first time mom :)  I understand how scary and stressful it can be.  Most days I don't really even feel pregnant (I luckily haven't had any morning sickness).  I had a scare with some blood after a bowel movement (after a checkup everything looked fine!) 2 weeks ago, and I was able to hear the heart beat.  Since I'm a type 1 diabetic, I've been in for vaginal ultrasounds twice already, one at 6 weeks and again at 8.  Both times I was able to hear a heartbeat. Are they performing vaginal ultrasounds on you?  I think those are more sensitive to the baby and will be able to detect the heartbeat.  But I wouldn't stress either - especially if the doctor isn't.  Good luck to you, mama, and baby :) 
  • 1stbb1stbb member

If the doctors aren't worried, I would worry either Ashley. They let you know if something seems wrong.

I am almost 11 weeks and already have have 2 ultra sounds to monitor a blood clot next to the baby. The first was a vaginal ultra sound, and we didn't hear hear the heart beat, but the tech. was able to capture the sound wave. 2nd ultra sound was just one over my belly at a little over 8 weeks, we could not hear the heart beat but saw the "butterfly" movement of it on the ultra sound I doc said things looked great.

Best of luck to you Ashley throughout your pregnancy and I hope all is well and healthy... I know how scary it is when you're unsure about how everything's going.

• Like the others, I would try not to worry about it this early. Some docs/nurses have trouble finding that little heartbeat with a doppler when baby is still so small and sitting so low in your pelvic region. This is my second pregnancy and I've been nervous and worried because it seemed like everything was done so much sooner when I was pregnant with my son. Was excited to go to my 2nd OB appt last week because was told doc would try to listen to the heartbeat, but then doc got held up at the hospital with a delivery. The nurse who tended to my appointment was up front and honest that she was not even going to try to hear the heartbeat because she can never seem to find it this early, and she'd rather NOT try and not get a heartbeat and send me home worried. So I went home, relaxed, and now I'm just looking forward to my first ultrasound next week. I was worried for a bit when my nausea suddenly let up for a few days, but it's back again so I'm not worried so much anymore, lol! I figure if I still feel lousy and tired, baby's still growing.

I know it's hard, but try to just relax whenever you can and not dwell on all the "what ifs". The stress you cause yourself isn't healthy for you or your baby. I know when I was having moments where I was really worried, I'd feel my blood pressure rising and those nights I didn't sleep well at all or eat very well. Take care of yourself and you'll take care of your baby. 

• Hi there....I'll be 11 weeks on wednesday too. Big SmileI had an 8 week vag. ultrasound where we saw the baby and last friday  I had another appointment that was just paperwork and more blood and urine tests with an RN but I didn't get to hear or even see the baby again. It's my first pregnancy and I have morning sickness and other symptoms but yet not hearing or seeing the baby for another 2 weeks makes me uneasy and concerned. I wish I could have had some visual or audible confirmation that everything is ok in there. Hmm
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards