Pre-School and Daycare

4 year old DDs attitude: Having trouble determining if its normal

DD has always been over dramatic and sensitive (well since about age 2, she was an angel as a baby)  Around the time she hit age 3 or 3.5 it got worse.  She even went through a phase where she would get angry and smack at me.  Thankfully I have broken her of that with time outs and firm talks.  She just snaps from sweet to out of control in a second literally.  Like today she throw a complete freak out tantrum because she couldn't click fast enough on a computer game.  If you have a 3.5 to 4.5 year old do they lose control of there emotions this easily? I am having a hard time determining if her lack of self control and her temper are something I should worry about or something normal? She is very smart, her preschool teachers say her education is at about a 2nd grade level, however even her preschool progress report shows lower marks in areas of self control. 

Re: 4 year old DDs attitude: Having trouble determining if its normal

• I think it's normal. My DD turned 4 in late January and she does things like this, too. Gets super frustrated and yells if she, say, can't get her shirt off, or can't get a doll's dress ON. Sometimes clenches her teeth and fists and makes a growly noise w
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageesd:

DD isn't often like that but she does have days where she gets more easily upset than others. I have found that she's usu

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh yes! I have a fourteen year old, I mean four year old...

she is very dramatic. Throws a major tantrum over very minor things. One of her goals at school is controlling her emotions. She gets upset and yells, slams her door, crosses her arms an

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest
  • I was just coming on to post something similar to this...DS turned 4 in Feb and since then has been so much more sensitive about things. His tantrums aren't violent but he cries easily and the smallest things seem to set him off. I've talked wit

• That type of behavior isn't normal with my 2 and 5 year olds, but I have boys so maybe that makes a difference?
    Hawaii
  • Sounds like my DD.  Hang in there.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks all! I feel much better knowing I am not alone. 
  • Yup. My four year old goes from awesome to hellbeast in 2.4 seconds. It's hard to keep up with! She's getting better.
    "Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It's hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It's round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you've got about a hundred years here. There's only one rule that I know of, babies. God damn it, you've got to be kind." - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Way normal.  My oldest didn't start getting better control of herself until she was almost 6!
  • Sounds like my 3 year old!
    ~Drew '13~Camden '12~Mihaila '10~Aaliyah '09~Noah '07~

• imageNicoleWI:
    I think it's normal. My DD turned 4 in late January and she does things like this, too. Gets super frustrated and ye
    Image and video hosting by TinyPicLilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"