Pre-School and Daycare

Is it a problem that DS still needs a diaper every night?

So DS, age 3 1/2, has been potty trained during the day for nearly a year now - since last May I'd say. He still occasionally has accidents but pretty rarely, except that for naps and nighttime we use a pullup (nap) or diaper. He pees so much at night even with the diaper that I am frequently changing his sheets (a huge pain, especially since I'm scrambling to do this while trying to get out the door to work). So there seems to be no end in sight to his needing a diaper at night. Our neighbor's daughter who potty trained right along with him hasn't needed a diaper day or night since June. Obviously boys and girls are very different but shouldn't he be occasionally waking up with a dry diaper by now? Is there any way to move this process along? I don't see how I can as he has no control over it.
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers image

Re: Is it a problem that DS still needs a diaper every night?

• Every kid develops at their own pace and night time potty training isn't something that can be trained. My niece was almost 7 before she could make it through the night without a diaper. My older daughter day trained at 2y 10m and night trained a month la
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Is he drinking a lot before bedtime?  I am certainly no expert here, but it seems like a lot of pee to me if he's peeing through his pull-ups/diapers.

My DS is about the same age as yours and has been potty trained for only 6 weeks. But he n

Bronx Zoo: Summer 2013

To read my blog, click on the giraffe pic below!
  • Loading the player...
  • I don't think it's an issue. But changing his sheets because he leaks through his diaper would suck. Maybe switch him to a overnight Pull Up? My oldest needed overnight ones because she leaked through the regular ones. Are you taking him potty RIGHT befo
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    I have three boys, that all stayed dry at different ages at night. Actually my middle son that is 5 still has very few dry nights. We don't make an issue of it. His body is not ready. My youngest guy, 3 and a half has stayed dry since he was 2 and a half,
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • my DDs just started waking up dry pretty regularly (and they pt'd during the day including naps 1 year ago)...I wouldn't worry and I wouldn't push it...
  • Each kid is different. I don't think it's a boy vs girl thing.

DD1 potty trained at 2.5 years and started waking up dry shortly after she turned 6. She would very occasionally wake up dry before that, but for the most part, she would completely w

Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • DD is 4.25, she's been day trained for almost since she was 2.5; she only recently stopped wearing a pull up at night (last 2 months) and stays dry all night.  She JUST (like last week) woke up in the middle of the night to go pee for the first ti

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • DD will be 3.5 in June and has been day potty trained since 2.5.  She stopped wearing pullups for naps at right before 3, but she will still wake up wet in the morning 50% of the time.  I don't think there's anything I can do about it.  We
  • Day and night have nothing to do with each other and most docs do not even start to worry about night time until kids are much older.  I am talking age 7 give or take.  I have both a niece and nephew who were very late night time ones (talking 9
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • No, not at all.

A few boys become night dry in the preschool years, within a year of being potty trained during the day.

Most boys continue to need a pull-up or goodnights until they're around 6 or 7.

Some continue to wet the bed unti

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Not strange I don't think.  What really helped us was to do a "dream pee" about 2 hours after Callum went to sleep.  He is a big water drinker and peed a ton at that point but then would be good the rest of the night.  
  • I posted something similar here recently.  DD is almost 4,5 and has been potty trained for over a year but she still has to wear a pull up at night.
  • The only thing we do is limit fluids after dinner, make DS urinate before bath and again after bath.
    ETA: a friend mentioned to me making the bed with two sets, ie: a mattress protector, bottom sheet, then another mattress protector and another bott
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I wouldn't worry about it. Bladder developement is different for every kid, and most pediatricians don't worry about it till age 6-7. DS still wears a night time pull up at night. He's never once woken up dry, though he's been day trained since 26 mont
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • No problem at all.

Both my boys were out of day time diapers at 20 months.   One overnight trained at 3 and the other not until he was 5.

It's a matter of the bladder becoming large enough to hold it overnight and/or the brain sy

Our IF journey: 1 m/c, 1 IVF with only 3 eggs retrieved yielding Dylan and a lost twin, 1 shocker unmedicated BFP resulting in Jace, 3 more unmedicated pregnancies ending in more losses.
    Total score: 6 pregnancies, 5 losses, 2 amazing blessings that I'm thankful for every single day.
  • Ds has been day trained since 18 months. He will occasionally wake up dry. There is nothing to be done for naps and night though. This week he actually had 2 dry nights and 3 dry naps!
                    Our Blessing From God Through Adoption
                   Our Blessing After TTC for 6 Years (natural birth!)
                             EBFing, CDing, BWing, SAHM
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"