School-Aged Children

Helping a shy kid make friends

DD is shy.  She does very well in school and per her 1st grade teacher "gets along with everyone".  It was the same in K.  She invited a few kids from school to her bday party months ago and she plays with different kids at recess, but she says she doesn't have any friends.  I asked her if she'd like me to contact some of the girls' moms to see about hanging out sometime other than school and she said no.  Her response is she's "just shy".  She also isn't interested in joining any additional outside activites.  Do we kind of force the issue?  I'm not shy so I don't want to push her too hard, but at the same time, I'd like to facilitate *if* I can.
Wendy Twins 1/27/06. DS and DD

Re: Helping a shy kid make friends

• Hi! Parent of shy kids here!  Trust me when I say that even shy kids eventually settle into friendships with peers.  It just seems to take them a little longer to find each other.  My DD didn't really "bond" with one special friend until

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • Thank you for the advice! I'll get in touch with the teacher after spring break.
  • Loading the player...
  • DD is in kindergarten and is also very shy.  We are dealing with the same thing, she hasn't really made any friends yet.  She's still much better friends with some of the girls from her preschool.  DD's conference was last week and we asked
    Ms. A  - 2007, Mr. C - 2009
  • My second grader is the same way. We also moved across the state last summer, so she had to start all over.. I spoke to my daughter's teacher and she suggested a couple of girls that would be a good match. Last week we had one girl over for a play date an
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • imagembenit4:
    I wanted to add - I was the shy kid. I wish my mother would have done more to help boost my confidence, etc. She did not
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"