School-Aged Children

Thumb Sucking Has to Stop!

My 5 year old is still sucking her thumb!  It has decreased over time but still when watching TV, riding in the car, or sleeping, it goes in.  She doesn't do it at school b/c she doesn't want her friends to see it.  We've offered her an AG doll when she decideds she's done and we tried a sticker chart for a while.  The sticker chart has decreased it but it rears back up.

Any suggestions?  Books? Techniques? 

Re: Thumb Sucking Has to Stop!

• My mom tried everything to get me to stop. Bribes, threats, etc. Nothing worked until I was ready on my own, which was in 4th grade. My 5.5 year old still sucks her thumb when tired, watching TV, in the car too. I'm not worried and just remind her not to
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My daughter was a thumbsucker and she thought of this idea herself.  Wrap her thumb in gauze and tape the gauze with that white medical tape. Make sure the tape goes in all directions around her hand so she can't slide the gauze right off her

• Loading the player...
  • Both of my girls were major thumb suckers.  My younger DD, just turned 5, stopped when she was 4 1/2.  We had told her for months that she had to stop before she started PreK in the fall.  We used the nasty tasting polish on her and that di
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Oh and my DD has a sever speech delay and her therapist is the one that suggested the bracelet.  It has effected her speech (not the cause of the speech issues but has effected her speech) and she has lost all 4 of her front teeth so the sucking can
  • Google Thumbuddy To Love....helps stop thumbsucking.
  • imagejlw2505:
    Oh and my DD has a sever speech delay and her therapist is the one that suggested the bracelet.nbsp; It has effected her s
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • We ordered them from Dysphagia Plus (www.dysphagiaplus.com) and they are called Chewlery
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"