Pre-School and Daycare

Preschool? XP Toddlers 24+ Board

DD's birthday is September 7th and the cut-off to start school in our city is September 1st, so we've always known DD will be the oldest in her class.  We plan to start her in preschool right before her fourth birthday.  That way she does two years of preschool then moves on to Kindergarten when she's 5 going on 6.  

We were at DD's 2.5 year appointment yesterday and the pedi asked if she was starting preschool in the fall.  I said no and explained why but said she does take a gym class and does story time once a week.  She then said, "But no separation classes?  Nothing that takes her away from mommy?"  When I told her no the pedi left it at that, but it made me start to wonder if she is suggesting that this might be a problem in the future.

Before I had DD I was a teacher myself, so obviously I don't see a problem with waiting until she's older to do separation, but maybe I'm missing something?   

Re: Preschool? XP Toddlers 24+ Board

• Have you left her with a baby sitter? How does she do in that sort of situation? I ask because I have a friend who has a son who is almost 4. She SAH and he never went to daycare. He always had a very difficult time with baby sitters, even his own grand
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
  • imageMrs.Greg:
    Have you left her with a baby sitter? How does she do in that sort of situation? I ask because I have a friend who
  • Loading the player...
  • rsd12rsd12 member
    Personally I don't think you are missing anything. My youngest is starting preschool in the fall. He is also a September birthday with a September 1st cutoff. I am home with him too.

Though, he easily seperates from me! Well, for sitters and
    Boy 1 2/06 - Boy 2 12/07 - Boy 3 9/09
  • Eh -- where I live it seems like parents of kids with early September birthdays are divided about 50/50 on whether they start preschool when the child is almost 3 and do three years of preschool, or start preschool when the child is almost 4 and do pre

High School English teacher and mom of 2 kids:

DD, born 9/06/00 -- 12th grade
    DS, born 8/25/04 -- 7th grade
  • My DS has benefited tremendously from the social interaction he gets in preschool. IMO, I think kids learn well from each other and it's good for them to learn to take directions from an adult who is not Mom/Dad/Grandma and learn some independence. We l
    Loving Life being Brett's Mama! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My son tried a music class by himself at age three and hated it. I hated it too, I wanted to be part of it with him!

He started preK two days a week this fall and we had 5 or 6 days that were really hard at drop off. It was all new to him and he

Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • My oldest only went to a year of preschool before K due to costs (we were in Manhattan so preschool was insanely expensive but we were able to enroll her in free universal preK in order to go to school at 4). I would have loved to send her earlier, but

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Oh, and I should add that our public library does a free drop off story time for preschoolers once a week. It's only half an hour, so I don't actually leave but DD doesn't know that. They read a few stories and do a craft, so it's similar to preschool.

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We're only doing one year of preschool before kindergarten. Because of the girls' bdays, that means DD1 will be 4.5 and DD2 will be a few weeks shy of 5 when they start (we also have a Sept 1 cutoff, DD2's bday is mid-Sept). I don't feel it's an issue to
    Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My son started preschool at 2y 9m and it was very hard on him. There is not guarantee this would help. Do what you think is best. Pediatricians do not always know best.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I think its all personal but I do think kids benefit from doing stuff away from mom, even if its just an hour class once a week.  My sister was a stay at home mom but started her kids in preschool at around 2 1/2 for 2 days a week and it was someplac
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • DS is in the same boat, although his doctor never even asked if he was away from me at all.  He will be going to 2 years of preschool starting this fall, right before he turns 4. Then Kinder right before turning 6, so one of the oldest in the class.&
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"