Homeschooling

Intro and Secular Homeschooling.

Hello everyone, I see this board is new and I read somewhere a few months ago someone was going to bring the idea up to create it... I just want to thank you because it will really help!

Anyways, I am currently in the middle of my house being built and I am 38 weeks pregnant (so some time before he goes to school), but upon seeing the schools out here (West Virginia), I have kinda retracted my frame of mind about not homeschooling.

I grew up in Northern California and went to very nice public schools that had very high test scores, so I assumed that all public schools would be fine... boy, am I wrong. I have looked up the test scores for schools around this area and they are far far below the national standard of what they are supposed to be, not only that... my sister-in-law is a teacher and she even homeschools her children because she dislikes the schools around here as well.. they are grossly underfunded and basically forgotten about.

I am a Nuclear Engineering student right now, 2nd year, and so I want to make sure that my little guy gets exposed early to math and science and make it fun, not tedious. I know that other subjects are equally as important and will make sure he gets the best of those as well.

Only problem is, out here is very religious. All of the school work I have seen from parents sharing what homeschool is like out here focuses on religion a little more than the subject they are teaching it seems. I grew up in a semi-religious household, my husband grew up the same... but for reasons that are best kept for another dreadfully long post... we have our reasons why we are Agnostic-Atheists. While I respect anyone and everyone's religion and have actually went out of my way to learn more about different religions over the years, I would really like to teach my son school subjects... not school subjects mixed with bible verses and extra bible work.

They do not seem to have that out here yet, I cannot even find an active group for secular homeschooling around here.. and I think if I looked on the internet the closest one is in/near PA, which is two hours away. I was wondering if anyone is going through the same thing while searching for materials? What would you try and do in this situation?

I know it is rather early to be planning this, but.. I like to see my options early. Besides, talking about this stuff makes these last few weeks seem less slow. Ha ha.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Intro and Secular Homeschooling.

• I will homeschooling with a Christian emphasis but I think there are a handful of people on here who are homeschooling or will be homeschooling with a more secular approach. I just googled secular homeschooling and there's apparently a magazine and bun

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Total lurker jumping in, but I was homeschooled myself about 15 years ago with a secular curriculum called Calvert. Maybe it is still out there?

DX: Severe MFI 
    IVF # 1 ~ Antagonist ~ ER 1/27/11~ ET 1/30/11 ~ + HPT 7dp3dt 
    DD born med-free on 10/24/11 
    Lilypie - (lZjk)
    IVF # 2 ~Antagonist ~ ER 6/5/13 ~ ET 6/10/13 ~ + HPT 4dp5dt 
    Lilypie - (OUlo)

• Loading the player...
  • imageLatteLady5:

I will homeschooling with a Christian emphasis but I think there are a handful of people on here who are homeschoo

• imageCallMeAl:

Total lurker jumping in, but I was homeschooled myself about 15 years ago with a secular curriculum called Calvert.

• imageCallMeAl:

Total lurker jumping in, but I was homeschooled myself about 15 years ago with a secular curriculum called Calvert.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Growing up I had a couple of friends who were atheist and were part of our christian homeschool group. I'm sure it was weird growing up having prayer before soccer practice, but they seemed to survive okay. I think it partially depends on the group. Will
    Married to E on June 5, 2010
    Gave birth to baby boy, I, on March 25, 2012
    Gave birth to baby girl, A, on May 20, 2013
    Baby #3 due April 29, 2015

Recovering from mitochondrial dysfunction and Addison's/possibly very severe adrenal burn out using food, medicine, and a large amount of garden therapy.
  • imageMitoRachel:
    Growing up I had a couple of friends who were atheist and were part of our christian homeschool group. I'm sure it

• I just want to say to keep looking and asking around about finding a homeschool group where you feel like you belong.  A lot of the groups I know about or have been a part of are private on facebook or yahoogroups, for the safety of the kids

• imagelilyaster:

I just want to say to keep looking and asking around about finding a homeschool group where you feel like you belon

• https://wvhea.org/wvhea.htm

That's the website for West Virginia Home Educators Association.  Start there.</spa

• imagebuggal28:

https://wvhea.org/wvhea.htm

That's the website for <span style="mso-bi

• We are Christian but I plan on using a secular curriculum for our core subjects. Next year for kindergarten for my oldest we are using Saxon phonics and Saxon math. I will also do a deprecate handwriting curriculum. For science an social studies I am plan
  • Thank you for some of those curriculum names.

I plan on my son being in sports or band or something through the public school system, I think West Virginia has that option, or it is in the beginning stages of being accepted. If they do allow kids

• I was looking for a secular homeschooling approach that was "You do your thing, I'll do mine..."  I find it just as hard to take serious an atheist who is belittling religion as I do religious people bashing an atheist.

I haven't found it, y

Prudence
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Otis
     Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Hank 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • imageJaysonandKristin:

I was looking for a secular homeschooling approach that was "You do your thing, I'll do mine..."  I fin

• imageAA0417:
    As far as curriculum, I'm sure it varies by state, but in my state, from what I've read so far, I can make my own, so

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"