Pre-School and Daycare
Options

When to tell her?

We have a vacation planned to go to Disney in April, so now we are about a month away. I don't want to tell her until right before. I do want to record it because she will have a great reaction.

DH wants to tell her now to use it for leverage. I hate that, because he will say, if you want to go to WDW, you better....

We could do a count down chain, so she can see how many days are left.

what do you recommend? 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Follow Me on Pinterest

Re: When to tell her?

• Options

I would tell her a day before, maybe 2

ETA - how would you do it as leverage anyway - its not like you're really not going to go. . .. that just seems kinda mean anyway.

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageKathrynMD:

I would tell her a day before, maybe 2

ETA - how would you do it as leverage anyway - its not like you're really not going to go. . .. that just seems kinda mean anyway.

Ditto. I can't see using something that big as leverage for anything, especially because it's something for the whole family, not just her.

And I really wouldn't want to hear a month of "Are we going yet?! Is it time yet?!" ;) 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I'd suggest a week before and do a countdown calendar. Then you can pack together.

• Options
    I told my DD about two weeks before our trip. She really wasn't annoying with the "How much longer" questions and her anticipation was darling to watch. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

imagecmeon_the_water:
    I'd do it a few days before- and while I'm certainly not above using some pretty shifty-ass tools to keep the kids inline, I wouldn't use a family trip in that way.

Yes

• Options

I would tell her about 1-2 weeks before. DS take a long time to process things and I think if I told him two weeks in advance, by the time it rolled around he'd have a better understanding of what we were doing.

Also, my H always does stuff like that. I get so sick of hearing the bribes. I totally do it on occasion, but he really REALLY wears it out.

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    We told DS1 the day before we left because otherwise, he would have asked "are we leaving yet?" every day.  It was our first trip and I recorded when we told him but he wasn't very excited mostly because I don't think he knew what to expect.  He loved it though and had a blast - keeps asking when we are going back to Disney Junior Land.  
  • Options
    I would wait until the day before. Kids have a hard time understanding time. You can give her lots of reminders that when we act nicely/follow directions/etc that Mommy and Daddy want to do special things with you. Have fun! :)
    Like giveaways? Like my blog!
    www.facebook.com/TryVermontFirst
    I love these two beautiful children!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    If it was our family, I'd probably tell DS1 the morning of.  I assume I'd go in his room early, wake him up, and tell him we were going to go somewhere fun today.  I know he'd ask where, and then I'd tell him.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Options
    I told DD several months ago about our Disney Cruise Vacation coming up next month. It has been an absolute blast watching her excitement build and almost daily she asks me a question or brings it up and the look on her face is priceless every time it comes up. I have not for a second regretted telling her about it so early. Watching her get so excited each and every day has been a highlight for me and something I'll never forget. When she asks if it's time to go, we just go through the 'events' that will come first. .. now she tells me that we can't go until after we have Easter first.
  • Options

I would never use the trip as leverage unless you truly are ready to follow through and not take her.

Having said that though, I am one to tell my kids in advance and let them share in the excitment.  We went to Disney in Oct and told the kids a few months about 6 months in advance as I wanted in their input in some of the planning of what we were doing.  We also wanted to make sure we had them watch a bunch of the Disney movies so they knew more than just the princesses.  We took them shopping for princess dresses for BBB at a Disney store before we went and bought pirate stuff for pirate night on the cruise (we did a land/sea trip).

We did save some surprises and bought them some t-shirts and new PJs and a doll that we gave them while on the trip and didn't tell them everything but sharing the excitment as it was building was great.  

I do have friends that told at the airport or a few days before and it was fine, just not my thing.  We did the whole countdown thing on the calendar and it was a great reference point for us in figuring out when different things were happening which I do a lot.

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"