Pre-School and Daycare

Foregoing preschool one more year?

A while back I posted some questions regarding preschool for DS.  You all had great advice and for that I thank you again! Now we're in a bit of a dilema.  DS will turn 4 on August 23rd. (Meaning that the following year he'll be 5 and an extremely young kindergartener!)  We are leaning toward waiting until he is barely 6 to put him in kindergarten.  Many people we've talked to including friends, family and teachers have said that waiting an extra year for boys is a good idea anyway.  I of course know that it is our decision and depends on DS as well.  The dilema is this...he's 3 1/2 right now and still not near being potty trained.  He will sit on the potty when asked, but if left up to him, he'll just pee and/or poo in his pants.  So of course, he MAY just turn on a switch and "get it" anytime now, but preschool registration is NOW.  He needs to be trained in order to go to preschool.  I've been told that "technically" he doesn't NEED to be, but that if they have constant accidents that a parent has to come to the school/church to change him.  That is definitely not something that either myself or DH would be able to do!  I really wanted to enroll him this coming fall and then if we decided that he'd need an extra year instead of kindergarten that we'd be fine with that.  But without being trained, it looks like we're going to have to forego preschool this fall.  Sad  Anyone else in the same boat?  I was fine with 2 years of preschool before kindergarten, but if he can't even attend preschool this year....well now I really feel like we're "holding" him back. And with #2 due in October, I was looking forward to at least a couple of days of preschool for DS to also give our moms a break since they are our babysitters during the week. TIA for any stories or advice!

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

Re: Foregoing preschool one more year?

• What are the preschool's cancellation policies? I would at least register him and if it's not working, you could always pull him out right before or after the school year starts, right?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Last year we were in a similar situation with DD - in March she was no where near PT'd and her preschool was pressuring us to get her PT'd quickly so she would be more confident in using the potty by fall.  Some combination of DCP magic and telling h
    imageimageimage
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you ladies!  I was considering going ahead and registering him, but DH is much more willing to just let preschool go for one more year. I'll be talking to DH about those options.  I really appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Lilypie - (dLe1)

***BFP 1-22-13, baby boy dx with Trisomy 13 at 15 weeks.

We let him go to Heaven on 4-27-13 at 17 weeks 1 day***

Lilypie - (AW2u)

Lilypie - (L84X)Lilypie - (D4Hj)

• imageTeacher Clark:
    I would register him now. You can always decide not to send him when school starts.

Th

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I am sorry but it is March and preschool would start in Sept.  You are talking about 6 months.  Go for it and enroll him and I would bet money that he is trained by then.  My now 5 year old was a pain when it came to being potty trained and
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • I"d register him. Chances are he'll get the hang of PTing by Sept. We were in a similar situation with DS and I had a conversation with his teacher at the begining of the year. They offer potty breaks throughout the day and he knows now that he at least n

• register him now, try potty training him by putting him in underwear and going cold turkey, and if things still don't look good by the cancellation date, pull out. 

A kiss he will never forget- Disney World 2014

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"