Pre-School and Daycare

How old to enroll in Kindergarten?

My LO is 4 with a bday in Dec. Will she have to be in Pre-K again next year? She's in a Montessori school right now with kids different ages but we just bought a house and would love to save some money and put her into a public school next year.

Re: How old to enroll in Kindergarten?

• It depends on the cut off dates of your state. Where we live the child must turn 5 before September 1st to enroll in kindergarten that school year. In the next state over, I believe it is August 1. 

If you google "kindergarten entrance requi

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Our school district they have to be 5 by August 1.

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Loading the player...
  • Great idea about googling. Thanks for your responses!
  • In my state they have to be 5 by Sept 1.
  • Our school's cut off is September 1st, so she would be enrolled in 4K here.
    Annalise Marie 05.29.06
    Charlotte Ella 07.16.10
    Emmeline Grace 03.27.13
  • It varies by state and even by town depending on where you are. In NYC the child needs to be 5 by Dec 31. In my town in NJ the cut off is Oct 1. I've heard of places as early as August 1. The only way to know is to check with your district.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • We've had changes in Michigan starting with the upcoming school year.  They want to move the date from Dec. 1 to Sep 1, but are doing it gradually.  This coming school year it's Nov. 1 (so ds just makes the cut off and will be one the younges

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DD is a December baby too and it confuses me. It shouldn't because DH and I are both December ourselves but it seems like she will start everything late.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • DS is going at 4 1/2.
    m/c 2013
  • KL777KL777 member
    You have to check your county.  Ours is September 30th.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Image and video hosting by TinyPic image

• Here in California, the child has to be 5 years old when he/she starts public kindergarden.  Unfortunately, DS will be 5 in Ocotber, (he's a late fall baby), so he wont be able to go into regular kinder this year, but our state did implement a tra

• Every state is different although most have cut offs in late summer/early fall.  I know both MI and CA (a  few others) do have Dec 1 cut offs.

My state is 5 by Sept 1 and some districts will let Sept bday kids test to start early.
    <

Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • imageWestCoastMommy:
    DD is a December baby too and it confuses me. It shouldn't because DH and I are both December ourselves but it se
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Where we live she would have to be in Pre K until the fall of 2014, I have the same issue with DD as her birthday is in November,
  • I wouldn't put a child into Kinder until they were 5 already.  Most schools won't take them unless they are 5 by a certain date (ours is Sept 30th).  DS doesn't turn 5 until Sept 13th and we are keeping him back until the following year even.
  • As others said, it varies even by district. Our district has the totally odd cutoff date of Sept. 12. DD was born 9/15.

ETA: As someone who started kindgerten at not quite 5 and did just fine, I think arbitrary cutoff dates are dumb.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Call the school in your area and ask about testing if you want your child to start at age 4.  Some districts offer to test children if their birthday falls between the cutoff (Sept 30 for example) and December.  
  • imageryry1977:
    DS doesn't turn 5 until Sept 13th and we are keeping him back until the following year even.
    <
  • imagegolfbride11:

imageryr

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"