Homeschooling

so happy that this board is up! first question...

I am in the process of convincing my fiance that we should attempt to homeschool LO someday. It is early in the game but I like to be prepared. 

I will probably have a million questions for you all! my first one is for home schoolers with a SO who wasnt too fond of the idea...how did you handle that? my fiance is not against it, I just get the feeling that he will let me do whatever I want with LO's education. he was not really into school himself and went straight to work after high school and a failed stint in community college.

I honestly think that he just doesnt fully understand homeschooling and will become more involved and interested in the whole process when LO is bigger and we get started.

a little intro...

I HATED my public school education! the one size fits all learning style did not work for me. I was subject to some horrible bullying that the school did nothing about. when I was twenty one I went to massage school and I LOVED it so much! we were encouraged to find our own way of learning. I was getting A's in anatomy in physiology when I had practically failed science in high school. It was the best two years that I had ever spent in school. I developed a true love of learning and I want that more than anything for my LO.

I am very interested in the waldorf method. If we could afford it I would send LO to a waldorf school, but we cant so i would like to try it out at home.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: so happy that this board is up! first question...

• imageDC2London:

I don't homeschool yet, but my advice would be to give him more information.  There are TONS of homeschool blogs online, I might point him to a few posts about how homeschool works, misconceptions, etc.  

I also found some homeschool groups in my area and met a few of the other families who are doing it near here.  The idea of being part of a community who are all doing similar things helped me feel a bit less intimidated by the idea.  Maybe you could invite a family of HS kids over for coffee and let your H kind of pick their brains.  I've found that people who do it, and enjoy it really believe in it and are more than happy to talk about it. 

I agree with this. I also think that homeschooling is one of those issues that both parents need to be 100percent on board with otherwise it can lead to resentment. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Our original reason for homeschooling was my oldest son's anaphylactic food allergies.  I talked to DH about it and he reluctantly agreed to homeschool our oldest until he either outgrew the allergies or was old enough to manage them on his own at school.  As I researched more about homeschooling and met families in our local community, I brought info to DH and the idea grew on him.  Eventually our reasoning changed and we decided to do it for all of our kids.  DH was still only on board with doing it through elementary school at that point.

Over time and through prayer, we came to the conclusion that we just aren't comfortable putting our children in public school until we feel they are mature enough in their character to handle the peer pressure and things that go against our faith that are part of public school.  The plan now is to wait until high school and let the kids decide where they want to go - stay at home or attend a private school in our area.  

If your husband is reluctant, as mine was, my best advice is to pray about it together and do a lot of research.  Have him meet homeschooling families in the area. 

I think my husband's biggest problem with it at first was the stereotype that his kids would end up "weird".  as he met families and children who have been homeschooled, he realized that the kids weren't strange at all, but rather very well-adjusted, intelligent and mature.  DH also worried about his kids not being able to play sports, because that was a big part of his childhood.  We researched and found local homeschool leagues and clubs that our kids could participate in, and that also made him feel better.

Good luck!

• Loading the player...
  • image+adamwife+:

I think my husband's biggest problem with it at first was the stereotype that his kids would end up "weird".  as he met families and children who have been homeschooled, he realized that the kids weren't strange at all, but rather very well-adjusted, intelligent and mature.  DH also worried about his kids not being able to play sports, because that was a big part of his childhood.  We researched and found local homeschool leagues and clubs that our kids could participate in, and that also made him feel better.

Good luck!

this is what i am running into. he has no idea what it really is at all. he just wants to do "the normal thing". Honestly getting him to talk to me about it is like trying to get blood from a stone. it really hurts my feelings :( BUT I did get him to agree to a trial run for pre-school and kindergarten. I am holding out hope that when he can see what homeschooling really is he will feel differently.

thank you all for the reponses, I will check out those sites that a pp posted!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • My H has been pretty agreeable about the idea of homeschooling, so I wasn't in your shoes, but our attitude has been that we will try it for one year at a time.  If everyone is happy, we can try it another year.  If we feel like another option is better, then that will be the way to go.  If you can figure out what his specific concerns are, it will be easier to address it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"