School-Aged Children

any homeschoolers out there? ( a little long)

my LO is still very young but I am already thinking of what to do when he is ready for school. I have always been fascinated by homeschooling! I have seen great examples of well adjusted home schooled kids through family and friends.

My fiance is on the fence. While I am happy living outside of the box he is not (opposites DO attract lol) . He was not really into school work and chose trade over college.... He is a hands on guy. He really loved his high school experience because of his friends and the things that they did. He is really concerned that if we home school LO that he wont have the social experiences that he had. I am the opposite, I was VERY shy in school and had a hard time making friends. I do not believe that school is the only place to find company. As an adult I am much more social and have great friends that I have made through work, college and other friends.

I know that home schooling will not make my kid socially akward or a shut in. I will happily join one of our many local home school networks and encourage, if not require him, to join some sort of group activity. I need help convincing my fiance that while our LO may have different experiences than he had, he will have many opportunities to make friends and have a wonderfull childhood. Any advice would be great, thank you!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: any homeschoolers out there? ( a little long)

• We are only in our 2nd yr of homeschooling but I feel like we can take advantage of some many things. You said your Fianc? was worried about hands in experiences.last yr my kindegartner  was into the presidents and all the monuments and history. She learned all the presidents in order and fun facts about Jefferson,Lincoln. And Washington to name a few. We took her o DC in April and she loved it. It was awesome for her to  put everything together. The great thing about homeschooling is, your child can learn about things he wants. If he/she wants to learn about something, you can do a unit study and find things online. For example, if he/she wants to learn about lions or monkeys, you can study them and then head to the zooto observe in real life.
  • I'm in the same boat, but instead of DH being on the fence, he's STRONGLY opposed so unfortunately HSing isn't an option for us at this time.  He's fine with HS preschool, but not K-12.

GSx1 - 05/13/2013
    GSx2 for T&B - EDD 6/21/2015 - They're having a GIRL!

babybaby
    BabyGaga
  • Loading the player...
  • We're homeschooling!  I never dreamed I would be homeschooling my kids- I believed the myths like "homeschoolers aren't well socialized" and "you have to be certified to teach..." they just aren't true.  Over the past few years I discovered that many of my friends had decided to homeschool their kids, and I met other parents who were already homeschooling.  I have just been really impressed with both the kids and the parents.  I love being able to focus on my children's needs (which at this time include plenty of play time and time outdoors).  Public schools are great and are definitely an option for us, but I don't like the class size and focus on standardized testing.  We have a great network of homeschooling families and friends, and a weekly co-op with a great selection of classes.  I've always said and always will take it one year at a time, we can always decide to do something different next year. 
  • I do not home school but am very intrigued by it and DS takes a homeschooling Art class because he is halfday Kindergarten. Why do you want to home school? I think a lot can be learned when you figure out why you want to. If you are worried about your child being shy like you then I do not think it is enough of a reason.

ETA: I am certified to teach although it is not required in most states in clouding mine. I am too chicken to do it but it always a possibility for me. My biggest concern is that most people I meet tht homeschool do it primarily for religious reasons and I worry we will not meet families that we would fit in with because of this.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • image-auntie-:

Are you certified to teach? College educated and capable of instruction beyond elementary?

I'm not a fan for a lot of reasons. I see par

ents who homeschool for a variety of reasons who sign their kids up for band and scouts. It seldome really works; once or twice a week isn't as effective at developing age appropriate social skills as a more traditional school experience.

It's funny actually...studies have proven that even homeschooled children who are taught by parents with ONLY a high school diploma score better on testing than children in public schools. And the myth about socialization is just that...a myth. NO WHERE in real life do people hang out with only other people of their exact age other than in public school. In real life, socialization takes place everywhere...which is exactly where homeschoolers get it too. Socialization is the grocery store, co-ops, family visits, siblings, church, play grounds, scouts, etc.

Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • imageLittlejen22:
    I do not home school but am very intrigued by it and DS takes a homeschooling Art class because he is halfday Kindergarten. Why do you want to home school? I think a lot can be learned when you figure out why you want to. If you are worried about your child being shy like you then I do not think it is enough of a reason. ETA: I am certified to teach although it is not required in most states in clouding mine. I am too chicken to do it but it always a possibility for me. My biggest concern is that most people I meet tht homeschool do it primarily for religious reasons and I worry we will not meet families that we would fit in with because of this.

I dont want to HS due to my shyness as a child. I love the freedom that it will give my son to learn at his own pace and to really get out into the world, not sit in a classroom all week.

thank you all for the feedback! I really like hearing about what other HS'ers are going through. I did go to college but I am not certified to teach. I will purchase a curriculum and hire tutors when needed. we also have a local day school that allows homeschooled children to enroll pt and join in on various classes. I know my limitations and would not attempt to teach him a subject that I cant handle.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I am all for it as long as the kid will be able to make friends through other activities. I think social interaction is very important for kids.

I have a younger sister who is being home schooled and she has no friends. She rarely leaves the house and they already live in the country. So I feel bad for her. 

• I do not home school and I was not home schooled but I went to a private Christian school (as did my younger brother).  Many of the kids came into our school (starting at 7th grade) that had been home schooled.  The only issue I saw is that in the areas of math, science, and the "speech" part of our English/Lit classes they were behind and if I remember correctly every one of them had to take classes from the year before.  Course it could just be that our school was ahead.  What we did in 8th grade biology class the public school kids were doing in Anat and Phys class in 10th/11th.  As for the speech part...many of the kids were very self-conscious giving speeches, oral book reports, etc.  Maybe because they were not used to speaking in front of others.  They all seemed to fit in fine socially.

I think it is fine for elementary years.  Personally, I could never do it...I don't have the patience!  It sounds like it might be an uphill battle for you if your FI is not on board.  Perhaps you could compromise and see if he would be OK with maybe the first few years to see how it goes.  Once he sees all the ativities you can be involved in he might come around.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"