Pre-School and Daycare

Taking kids out of school for vacations

2»

Re: Taking kids out of school for vacations

• image-auntie-:
    imagecmeon_the_water:

I don't expect most public teachers to be thrilled with a child missing school for any reason at all, and I don't see any fault in that- but, family time is at least as important as school time, and valuing school above all else is not something I will ever get behind.

And FWIW, we're paying for private school- clearly we find some value in formal education. ;)

I've done it both ways. Private and public. It's been my experience that many indie and parochial parents are paying for something other than formal education with their tuition dollars. Like bragging rights, more control, convenience, avoidance of diversity.

Auntie...this is the best quote ever.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• imagekpips20:

Wow. I really didn't mean for this to start such a debate Embarrassed

And for the record, I wasn't meaning to diminish the importance of kindergarten or school in general - I worked in education prior to kids and know how valuable the class time is at every level which is why this is such a debate for me and DH. But we've talked at leangth about this over the past 2 days and the reality is we really can't take a true vacation during the summer. It's just not possible (and no, it's not b/c we want to avoid crowds as some have implied). So if we need to pull our kid of of half day Kindergarten for 3 days so that we can have some fun as a family, so be it.

And one last thing, I would be 100% shocked that any NW suburb doesn't have policy about vacations.  Most suburban Chicago schools are very serious about education.  No matter what the school says, the state of IL says vacations are unexcused absences and can lead to truancy.  I can't remember how many days.  It is more than 5, but it's in a rolling 12 month period.

• Loading the player...
  • imageali0608:
    image-auntie-:
    imagecmeon_the_water:

I don't expect most public teachers to be thrilled with a child missing school for any reason at all, and I don't see any fault in that- but, family time is at least as important as school time, and valuing school above all else is not something I will ever get behind.

And FWIW, we're paying for private school- clearly we find some value in formal education. ;)

I've done it both ways. Private and public. It's been my experience that many indie and parochial parents are paying for something other than formal education with their tuition dollars. Like bragging rights, more control, convenience, avoidance of diversity.

This makes me so sad too.  I would kill to not spend the money.  And I am terrified for the time when my neighbors ask where L is going to K next year because I don't want to sound like a snob.  I hate the whole bragging aspect to it!  Ugh. 

• I am a teacher (at home Mom right now) and I would (and do) take my kids out of school for a trip in a heartbeat!   Think about the third week of February in 3rd grade during your school years.  What did you learn that week?  What did you retain from those lessons?   Not much, right?    Now....think about a family vacation you took in third grade.  Do you remember it?  Of course you probably do.  You remember how silly your Mom was....that your Dad got knocked over by a big wave....that your brother was on "your side" in the car.   Right?

My point is that in terms of the big picture....five missed school days means NOTHING.  I am a teacher of 15 years and I'm saying that outloud.  :)   Yes, they'll miss stuff.  They may even miss some "important" stuff.   They may feel a bit overwhelmed when they return, etc, etc, etc.   But the bottom line is that children will remember and NEED bonding time with their families far more than they need those five days of lessons.   I understand that school is important, of course.  I understand that some people think it's setting a bad example to "skip some lines at an amusement park".   But I'm sorry....the priceless looks on my kids' faces while we have a blast loving each other and having some fun at Disney in the off season far surpasses another week of writing samples or test prep.

As a teacher, I can say that the memories the children make with their families is just as valuable as a week in the classroom.  If a child is keeping up in classes and do well, all the better.  They will be fine when they return (especially in Kindergarten!!).   But even if your child struggles in school...to me that's all the more reason to take a week to enjoy your child, forget the stress, let them be little and give them something positive to hold onto when they're having a bad day.  You and your child will remember the memories of your trip....trust me, they will not remember what they did that particular week in the future.

I have three kids (16, 12 and 4) and it is harder for the older ones to miss classes without truly falling behind.  We didn't take a week off this year so my oldest could keep up with her AP courses in High School.  But we have taken weeks off in past years and I will never regret it.   Life is short.  Unless you allow your child to miss multiple days for other reasons (and border on truancy) than a few days of fun will not alter their destiny....and it will not make your children become slackers who think that rules don't apply to them.  None of my children ever had bad side effects from missing some days and they are all doing extremely well in school, even with our forbidden Mickey days thrown in.  :)

So, my two cents is take the time off....have tons of fun, and make some memories.  Real life will be there when you get back...and everyone will jump right back in.....with a smile.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Great points Aimathy! I agree!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • I say go for it, family time is important and as a parent you should have the right to chose when it is okay to pull your children from school.  I am not saying I would support someone who wanted to take their child out of school every other week for vacations or whatever but the way I see it once a year isn't hurting anything.
  • Our kindergarten is still only half-day here.  I know school is important, however I don't think they would miss that much.  I would probably ask the teacher ahead of time and he/she could send anything home for them to work on.  A great way to keep them busy on the plane or car ride. 

girls photo zvczv.jpg

• Yes, I absolutely would. For the record, our district gives us a week if excused absences specifically FOR family vacations. My mother taught public school for over 30 years, she says she regrets not taking more time off to do family vacays during the school year. 
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers m/c 01-07-10
  • Meh. What is a few days out of school. Sure there will be a little catching up to do, but what a great memory. And it isn't like missing a few days now will keep him out of college or lower his SAT scores. That is my 2 cents. 
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imageali0608:
    image-auntie-:
    imagecmeon_the_water:

I really like and respect auntie and have often sought your opinion. I not think in the over 10 years of being on these boards that I have ever disagreed with you but this just seemed like an attack to be considering how long Cmeon has been on these boards and that while I do not ever remember her posting anything that would give me the impression that education was not a top priority to her and I remember her commenting on a lot of education posts over the years.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • I would be in favor of this even as the children get older.

Just know your school policy about sick/vacation days -  

photo notebook.jpg 

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • I'm kind of in the middle here. I wouldn't allow my child to miss 5 consecutive days of school no matter what the grade. Eventually we will travel but I would plan my vacations to travel on a Thursday after school, be back in time for school on Wednesday, and choose a three day weekend so only 2 days of classes would be missed barring some family emergency. There are plenty of three day weekends during the school year--I would try to accomodate travel plans around them.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • DH and I see if differently. I think taking kids out of school for vacation is a big no no. My mom was a teacher going up and my parents NEVER would have had us out of school for anything other than an emergency or of course illness.

DH grew up in a family that would see no issue with going to Disney World in the middle of school year because it was less crowded.

A co-worker of mine just took his 3 kids two weeks ago and said it was awesome because it was not too hot and the crowds were fairly small.

• imageNicoleWI:
    I would ABSOLUTELY do it and can't believe how many people wouldn't. Seriously?? Family memories from that trip last way longer than whatever the kid misses in a few days of school. AND, I think it's a problem in our society that a kid can't miss a few days of elementary school without having tons of homework and being "behind."

I agree. This is why so many people can't possible leave the office for a vacation and burn out. People need to relax and experience life. School and work are very very important to me but they are not my life, and I want my children to have those memories and to live their lives as adults too. I would not hesitate to pull my kids out of school for a week for a vacation.  

• imagemelody921:

imagecmeon_the_water:
    Sure, October is a muuuch better time of year for Disney than the summer, for many reasons. I honestly think school is important- but, not so important that you can't take a week or so off in a year for family things.

This. Especially when kids are this young. Do it. Family memories are important too. And don't let the school send him with a ton of "homework."

Funny - I'm a teacher and totally understand why parents do this financially. Airfare is ridiculously more expensive during school vacation weeks.  Our district has a policy urging parents not to do it and teachers are not allowed to give work.  Students have to make it all up when they come back.  It's meant as a deterrent but it's not very effective.  Kids in this town go away on trips I only dream of. 

• Yes I would not have a problem taking DD out of elementary school for a vacation... especially if you are only going to miss a few days. I would prefer not to for middle or high school. Disney is WAY better during a non-school break time!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"