Success after IF

More Qs about BLW

I haven't decided what we're going to do yet re:solid foods.  I hope to EBF for 6 months to maximize the health benefits for M.  We recently visited friends who have a 10 month old.  They said they attempted BLW but their daughter choked several times on the food so they went back to purees.  They also said some of their friends had some problem with their LOs (choking).

Have you experienced this when you started your LO on BLW?  Did you read books/websites/articles on BLW?

Also, when I read about starting solids, the books always say to introduce one food at a time and wait 3 days before introducing a second one.  But with BLW, don't you end up introducing several foods each day?  {TBH, I am not planning to do 1 food every 3 days; I think the likelihood of allergy is pretty small.}

Finally, with BLW, do you start with just 1 meal at the beginning?  And for those of you who BF, do you nurse LO first and then put him/her into a high chair and eat together? 

TTC since 10/2008  RE consult 6/2010 Dx:Unexplaied IF

Failed multiple cycles of Clomid+TI and Clomid+IUI

3/2011 inj+IUI #1 BFP. 4/2011 missed m/c. 

Fall 2011 inj+IUI #2&3 BFN

Jan/Feb 2012 IVF#1 BFP 2/23  EDD 10/31/2012 ~~~ Halloween ~~~

Our IVF miracle, Baby Boy M, arrived on 11/8/2012!
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: More Qs about BLW

• They are not really choking. Their gag reflex is very far forward on their tongue so it may look like choking but it is part of them learning to handle food. I suggest reading Gil Ripley's book before getting started. The book will answer all your questions.

DD only sat with us for dinner the first 6 weeks starting at 6 months. I tried to move to 2 meals a day after 4 weeks but she wasn't interested. It took until 9.510 months for her to eat 3 meals a day plus snacks. I nursed her on her normal schedule and just put in her high chair at dinner time.

No we did not do one food at a time. Also we started dairy at 6 months, eggs at 8 months, and peanut butter at 9 months etc. However that is with the understanding that if there is an allergy you may have to eliminate all foods and start from scratch.

TTC#1 for 19 months with PCOS and MFI IUI#3 + injectables = BFP!!!!  Beta#1-134(13dpiui) Beta #2-392(15dpiui) 
    #1 born December 2011
    TTC#2 - Beta #1 -51@10dpo Beta#2 -1353 @16dpo
    #2 born May 2013
    TTC # 3 June 2014 BFP 12-1-14
    #3 born August 2015 
    #4!!!!!!! due June 2017 
  • If you have allergies, make sure you talk to the doctor. I have an egg allergy and so do many members of my family, so my doc doesn't want her to come near to eggs until she is 1. I don't know why 1 because I forgot to ask but I thought that was interesting!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image image
  • Loading the player...
  • I started with purees and some soft finger foods soon after that. We do not have any history of allergies in our families. I started with one new food per day at around 4 1/2 months. Grayson did gag a bit with a soft piece of banana, but he seems to be figuring it out now. It did scare me when he sounded like he was choking.

I breastfeed, so I usually feed him solids in between. He has two meals at daycare during the week and one with us in the evenings. Good luck!

Dx: Unexplained Infertility

TTC #1 
    IUI's #1 - #3 Clomid = BFN's, IUI #4 Follistim = BFP
    Grayson arrived via emergency c-section on 7/28/12!

TTC #2 
    IUI's #1 - #4 Follistim = BFN's
    IVF #1 w/ ICSI + PGS: Lupron/Follistim/Menopur
    ER 4/13 - 19R, 13F, 4 PGS tested embryos, 1 normal
    5/14 FET: BFP. Beta #1: 123, Beta #2: 327, Beta #3: 854
    Cora arrived 1/23/15 via RCS!
  • No words of wisdom here, I just wanted to wish you luck with BLW.  My DS has always been a great eater but DD was & continues to be picky.  We did puree's initially & gradually changed the textures so they would get used to little lumps.  They then transitioned to non pureed foods.
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • We haven't had any issues with choking. Like PP said, they do gag a little, but that's a good thing bc they are learning how to prevent choking. We didn't wait between foods. Neither of us not our families have any history of food allergies. She has shown dairy sensitivity from when I eat dairy, so we're avoiding dairy for now. But otherwise she eats everything but strawberries, eggs, and nuts. We only do dinner during the week, but let her snack on whatever she shows interest in on the weekends. We need to start sending a snack to DC though as she keeps stealing another kid's snacks. I read the Ripley book as well. I highly recommend it.
    TTC with PCOS since November 2009
    IUI#1 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP, m/c
    IUI#2 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 5-9) = BFN
    IUI#3 Femara/Ovidrel (cd 3-7) = BFP!
    beta #1 11/23 = 270, P4 = 75
    beta #2 11/28 = 2055
    Our daughter E was born 7/29/2012!
    Surprise, our 2nd daughter P was born 5/22/14!
    imageImage and video hosting by TinyPicimage
    imageimageimage
  • Im a huge believer in BLW and suggest getting the book before starting. Your local library may have it for free too if you are not sure yet. Anyway like pp said its more of a gag reflux then choking and it helps them to learn to get food up on their own from the back of their throat. I continued BFing on the normal schedule and fed him in between. We started at 7 months just having him experiment with food. He didnt really start swallowing until a month later. I only stuck to introducing 1 new food per week. Because of BLW he learned to eat on his own very early. Instead of me feeding him he was able to gage how much he needed. I EBF and BLW at the same time and it worked really well. GL!!!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"