Baby Names
Options

Sometimes I hate my name

Ok, so it's not a name for a baby, but can I vent about my name here? 

It's Chasity.  I actually think the name is pretty but it still seems like almost 30 years later everyone mishears it, misreads it and misremembers it.  It doesn't always bother me, but sometimes it does.  I could understand if it was ChasTity people said instead.  No, I get Charity, Cassidy, Christy.  People that I have known for years but don't see very often (like college acquaintances) will keep thinking it's Cassidy etc.  On the phone?  It's Cassidy.  So amazingly tired of having to spell out my name 17 times on the phone because no one has even heard it before and keeps wanting to write out something else.  Ordering something online?  Usually gets printed back to me as Charity.  What on earth, it's typed into a system and they still can't get it right?!

Somehow I never got the sexual teasing aspect of the name as a teenager (or at least never heard about it).  So there's that at least.  

Does it really sound that similar to these other names?  Names that aren't even incredibly popular? I've never met a Cassidy, know only one Christy (or other spelling) and have only met one Charity.  And most people don't think it's a legit name.  Obviously, they are much more common than Chasity, but really I just don't get it.

Just something to think about when picking your own baby names, if it's uncommon but is really close to other names then make sure you are positive you want to commit that child to a lifetime of constantly correcting others on their name.  I might feel differently about my name if my mother actually admitted to thinking about these things and loving it so much anyway.  But she freely admits she didn't put any thought into the name, just heard it once and it stuck and she was happy she didn't have to think about it anymore.  I guess I should be glad she didn't hear something more ridiculous.

/vent.  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
BabyFruit Ticker

Re: Sometimes I hate my name

• Options

To me...this is an excellent example and nice reminder to all of us to consider our child's feelings too when choosing their forever name!

With that said, it is a lovely name. :) 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I hear you...I hate my name too.

It's a really dated name that was uber popular in the 70s and 80s. 

I also have the same issue as you with getting called different names than my actual name that just happen to start with the same letter.  WTH is that?

I think a lot of our parents probably did what your mom did-- maybe heard a name in passing, thought it was nice and that was it.  Remember, they didn't have the internets to help them out like we do!

You are totally not alone in hating your own name!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    imagenelb3:

To me...this is an excellent example and nice reminder to all of us to consider our child's feelings too when choosing their forever name!

This.  :)
  • Options

Ugh I dislike my name too. My name is Ann, after my aunt, and there are so many annoying things about it. First, it sounds like every other word ...and, an, Ian, etc. Anytime anyone says a word close to it, I think they say my name. The second thing is so many people have to ask if it is Ann with an -e or without. I also hate how whenever I meet anybody, they always say oh that's my mom's name or grandmother's name or that's my middle name. It's also super boring. 

Vent over :) 

E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    imageVTFutureMrs:

Ugh I dislike my name too. My name is Ann, after my aunt, and there are so many annoying things about it. First, it sounds like every other word ...and, an, Ian, etc. Anytime anyone says a word close to it, I think they say my name. The second thing is so many people have to ask if it is Ann with an -e or without. I also hate how whenever I meet anybody, they always say oh that's my mom's name or grandmother's name or that's my middle name. It's also super boring. 

Aww I don't think Ann is boring, but I do understand your other points for sure!

BFP 1- EDD 2/09/11 Missed MC DX @11 weeks D&C- 7/25/10 BFP 2- EDD 12/22/11 Natural MC @ 5w 2d BFP 3- EDD 1/25/12 DD Josephine born 1/16/12

Lilypie - (TUWi)

• Options

My name is Morgan and I am called Megan constantly.  It's so normal that I've stopped correctly people and now answer to Megan if it is clear that the person is talking to me.  I think Morgan and Megan sound very different, but I guess people assume that my name couldn't be Morgan and they misheard or misremembered it.

That being said, I like my name for the most part.  Certainly can't imagine having a different name.

I know one Cassidy and a zillion Christy's.  I have never met a Chasity and can say for certain I would mishear it or need you to spell it for me before I'd get it right.  Sorry - that's got to be incredibly frustrating.

• Options
    imageVTFutureMrs:

Aww, I really like Ann!  But I get your points.  In science class one year we talked a lot about capacity, I always thought the teacher was saying my name.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    imageaustenreader85:
    imageVTFutureMrs:

Aww, I really like Ann!  But I get your points.  In science class one year we talked a lot about capacity, I always thought the teacher was saying my name.

Haha that's funny! That would totally drive me nuts! 

E 03.10
    H 11.11
    C 08.13

Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    I hated my name is Emma, I hated it. now its everywhere. I liked it starting in college. I just wanted my name to be Marsha ( I loved the Brady Bunch on nick at nite) Oh gosh i am glad my name is now Emma.
    Blessed with double the love. C and J born May 2013
  • Options
    This is what scares me about naming my child.

Baby boy 7.10.13
  • Options

My name is Jesey. I really didn't think it was THAT 'out there'. I get called Jessica constantly, which is understandable, but not my given name and when people find that out, they are SO amazed.... whatever... 

I also get called Jersey .. even after correcting people several times and "jee-see" too...  makes no sense to me. 

• Options
    I can't stand mine sometimes either. Although my problems are on paper. I have a common name with an unusual spelling (part of why I hate it when people try to change spellings). When I was a kid and we'd go on field trips or on vacation I'd be looking at all the name plate/key chain things & always get bummed out that you could find everyone in my family but not me. When I order things they misspell it, on the first day of school teachers mispronounced it. I think in school I actually tried using my middle name but it just wasn't me. I would never change my name but it drives me nuts every time I have to fix it.
    BFP 4/3/07 EDD 11/23/07 MC 7/20/07 Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imagenelb3:

With that said, it is a lovely name. :) 

All of this! I wish more people would find this board before they name children! 

Anniversary
    Love: March 2010  Marriage: July 2013  Debt Free: October 2014  TTC: April 2015
     BFP: April 10, 2016 EDD: December 19, 2016 Team Blue!
    Oscar born November 20, 2016 at 35w6d

• Options
    imageJeseyJo:
    My name is Jesey. I really didn't think it was THAT 'out there'. I get called Jessica constantly, which is understandable, but not my given name and when people find that out, they are SO amazed.... whatever...nbsp;I also get called Jersey .. even after correcting people several times and "jeesee" too... nbsp;makes no sense to me.nbsp;
    is it pronounced like Jessi? Or Jezi? Sorry to have to ask, I'm sure it would be clearer in person.
    SQUIRREL!!!

• Options

Mines Kassie, everyone always calls me Kathy over the phone. I have also gotten Casey.

I like Chasity but my little niece is Chasity too to its a good correlation for me.

**~Future Mama to my June "Sprout"~**
    EDD- 06/13/2017
    **Stinkerbelle-8-27-10 * Mr.P's 2nd Mama 7-27-07**
    TTGP's 2013 Sweetest Bumpie <3 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"