Babies: 9 - 12 Months
Options

fever/cough... ideas to help sleep

LO is almost 9 months and just got his first fever today :(  He also has a cough.  He has only had the cough at night so he's not sleeping well.  His fever was at 102.1 and then I gave him some ibuprofen.  After the ibuprofen it was 101.8 (taken rectally).  I have the humidifier going in his room. 

Is there anything else I can do to help him sleep?  Anything other than humidifier and saline drops that might help the cough?

Also, at what temp would you call the doctor?  Just trying to plan in case his fever gets worse. 

Re: fever/cough... ideas to help sleep

• Options

You can also give him Tylenol if the fever isn't going down much more. Make sure you are giving the correct dose too. A lot of parents underdose kids. As for the cough and sleeping, try to elevate him while he is sleeping. Either let him sleep in his car seat or prop his mattress up a little to put it at an angle. Or you can hold him yourself :)

Offer him cool liquids like water, diluted juice and Pedialyte. Don't over dress him. Wake him up every 4-6 hours and check his temp - give him either ibuprofen or Tylenol (alternate them) to keep his fever down. There is not a magic number, per se, that worries doctors. It is how they are acting. Is he otherwise acting normal? Eating enough, pee'ing enough, being playful, etc? Does he look like he is having a hard time breathing? Is he breathing more than 40-50 times a minute (AFTER the fever is down)? When he breathes is his chest sucking in so that you can see his ribs and sternum?Those are things that are worrisome and he should be seen by a doctor ASAP.

Good luck and I hope your little boy feels better soon!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"